Please be patient while I make changes to the appearance of my blog.

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Software Meets Christmas Tree


Today is the start of the last challenge for 2013 at Sugar Creek Hollow and it is called Recycling & Re-purposing.  We would love to see your entries but they must be either vintage or shabby chic (or a combination of both).  Your entry must include one or more items that have been recycled or used for a different purpose and you must tell us about it in your post so that we know your entry meets the theme and is eligible for any of the prizes.


A year ago or so my husband brought home a whole pile of software CD-ROMs and DVDs from work that were being sent to the garbage and asked if I wanted them for crafting and of course I said yes and added them to my stash not having any idea at the time how I could use them.  Since then I have discovered that they make the best bases for Christmas ornaments and this is the third one I have used for that purpose.

I got my husband to drill two holes opposite each other but in the end, I only used one this time.  Then I printed some digital paper from Summertime Designs and cut it into 2 1/2" squares.  Each square was folded into thirds to create a point and glued onto the CD in two layers.

Next I cut some loops with my Cameo and some gold card stock from Recollections and added them to each of the points on the top layer.  A gem from Dollarama was added to the top of each loop.

I printed the vintage Santa from The Graphics Fairy, cut it out and trimmed the edge with some gold Stickles by Ranger.  I added some lace from my stash to the back and then mounted Santa on a scalloped circle that was cut using a Nellie Snellen die and some red glitter card stock from Dollarama.  Some gold cord from my sewing cupboard was added as a hanger and then a plain card stock circle was added to the back to hide the CD.

I am going to enter this in the following challenges:

Happy Campers  - Christmas
Crafting For All Seasons - Anything Christmas But A Card
Ruby's Rainbow - It's Christmas
Inky Chicks - Christmas
Parade Your Crafts - Christmas Projects

8 comments:

  1. Fantastic decoration. its a great idea to re-purpose the CD.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. great idea to use an old CD...your ornament is beautiful. thanks for playing at parade your crafts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful ornament Cec and a great use for the CDs! Thanks for joining in the Happy Campers challenge. Kim xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful ornament Cec ! Just goes to show you should never throw anything away ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous Cec! I love the vintage image and all the pretty details. Wishing you and your family a blessed Christmas and a happy New Year.
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how you used the CD, great repurposing and gorgeous image and design!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute, such a creative project .Thanks for joining our challenge at Parade Your Crafts - Crystal Lopez - DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful ornament!
    Thanks for joining us at CFAS!
    Jani x

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec