Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Summer Heat


The new challenge at Frilly and Funkie starts today.  Sue is our hostess and she wants us all to think SUMMER HEAT.  Now that isn't difficult in my neck of the woods with temperatures at 40C (104F) if you factor in the humidity.  Seriously though, Sue wants you to make vintage or shabby chic cards or other projects that make you think of the vibrant colours associated with summer and she wants to see at least one bloom on your project.

The challenge will run for two weeks and at the end one random winner will be awarded a $25 gift certificate to The Funkie Junkie Boutique and the Design Team will choose their Top Pick and that person will have the opportunity to be a Guest Designer.  A couple of reminders - your projects must fit the challenge theme as well as the style, your entry must link to your post, your post must contain a link to Frilly and Funkie and you may only enter a total of 10 challenges, one of which is Frilly and Funkie.

Here is how I made my card:

I started with some card stock from Recollections to make the blank.  Next I put some Orange Blossom and Red Geranium Archival Ink on my craft sheet along with a drop of Gold Mixative Alcohol Ink and spritzed it with some Rubbing Alcohol.  Then I dragged a piece of Specialty Stamping Paper through it until it was covered - spritzing along the way with more rubbing alcohol to make sure it was runny enough.  I used my heat gun to make sure it was dry before I carried on.

Once dry, I used a natural sea sponge to dab a bit more Red Geranium on.  Then I did some stenciling using Orange Blossom Archival Ink with Wendy Vecchi's Polka Dotty stencil, Cornflower Archival Ink with Wendy's Dots and Stripes Border stencil and Olive Green and a Heidi Swapp stencil to make the branch.

The filigree metal corner started life as a bronze colour so I coated it with Picket Fence Distress Stain, dried it with my heat gun and then dabbed on some Lemonade and Terra Cotta Alcohol Inks before I dried it again.

The bird was part of the Heidi Swapp stencil but I made a paper pattern of him and then cut him out of Grunge Paper.  I decided he needed a wing so that was just hand drawn and cut.  I covered both the bird and his wing with Faded Jeans Distress Ink and then inked the edges with some Vintage Photo DI.  The gem for his eye came from Dollarama.

The Venise Lace was dyed with Vintage Photo DI and the panel it is attached to was some cream card stock from my scraps that I inked with Squeezed Lemonade and Wild Honey DI and then ran through the Tim Holtz Honeycomb Texture Fade.  After I distressed the edges with my scissors I highlighted it with some Orange Blossom Archival Ink.

The image is from the True Art stamp set by Wendy Vecchi.  I stamped it with Jet Black Archival Ink on Specialty Stamping Paper, fussy cut it and then painted it with Scattered Straw, Shabby Shutters, Peeled Paint, Ripe Persimmon and Festive Berries DI.

The bow is some organza ribbon I picked up at a great outlet store in Fancy Gap, Virginia (love that name) and then I added a floral button and some burlap string.

I am going to enter this card in the following challenges:

House of Cards - Add a Bow
My Besties UK - Anything Goes/Summer
Timbro Scrap Mania - Summer (must use stamp - flower is stamped)
Vintage Stamping Challenges - Summer Blooms (must use stamp - flower is stamped)
Catered Crop - Summer Lovin
Fashionable Stamping - Flowers (must use a flower stamp)

The following items used to create this card are available at The Funkie Junkie Boutique:

27 comments:

  1. Bravo, Cec! You did a tremendous job on incorporating these bright colors and still sticking to a shabby chic style. Your background is wonderful and I love the honeycomb texture. Your Wendy flower is sensational! Super take on Sue's theme.

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is super Cec. I love that flower stem over all the yummy stencilling and texture. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything about this...
    love the colors...
    love the flower...
    love the layered background!
    well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Cec!! Another gorgeous creation!! This was a difficult challenge for me, but your project is such absolute perfection that you make it look effortless. Totally awesome!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. very pretty thanks for joining us at besties uk - Carol UK DT xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful and so nicely made! The orange, green and yellow combination blends so well and the textures on the background adds so much to your beautiful design. I'm so glad you joined our 'ADD A BOW' challenge at House of Cards. Please join us again soon!

    Graciellie
    House of Cards DT
    gracielliedesign blogspot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. A stunning card Cec, the colours are so vibrant and summery. Thank you for joining the challenge over at FSC as well.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really gorgeous Cec. It sings of sunshine. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow! Beautiful! Love the vibrant colors, the lace and of course, the bow! Thanks for joining us at House of Cards!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a hot summer day! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just beautiful Cec, such lovely vibrant colours and great attention to detail.

    Thanks so much for joining in and sharing your lovely work with us at FlonzCraft Vintage Stamping Challenges.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely summery card thanks for joining us at UK Besties x Jane DT

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful card :) I love summery colors. Thank you for playing along with us at House Of Cards

    cohenna
    House of Cards DT

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow! those colours are just beautiful! such gorgeous summer colour combo! thank you for joining us at My Besties UK challenge blog and good luck! Hugs Davinia

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful card and a lot of products used to great effect! I love the way you created the background. Thank you for joining in with HOC Add a Bow challenge

    createdbypat.blogspot.co.uk
    Pat x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful card and gorgeous summery colors! Thanks for playing with us at House of Cards! I hope to see you again here next time! Hugs, Cornelia – DT

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your card is so lovely and the bow matches the yellow of your card so well!! Way to go - well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning card. Thanks so much for playing along with us at House of Cards. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW. This is AMAZING! LOVE these colors and the texture in the lace trim and embossing! Fabulous creation! Thanks for joining us at House of Cards! HUGS! Mynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. This card made me turn the fan up higher!! It brings on the heat!! Thanks for joining us this month at House of Cards!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful card, I like the image and the design, Thanks for joining in with us at Besties UK, Good Luck.
    Kevin xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous summer colours - thanx for sharing with us at My Besties UK.
    Hugz, Jan (DT) xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful shabby/vintage card yet alive with gorgeous color! Your bow is fabulous with the linen thread and the button topper. Thanks for joining us at the House of Cards challenge blog.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful vibrant creation.
    Thanks for joining in at HOC.
    Ang

    ReplyDelete
  25. Summer Heat? You certainly nailed that theme! Love the warm colors (the bow, of course!) and the dyed lace. Thanks for sharing your card with us for the House of Cards challenge!

    Inky hugs,
    Angi
    HOC DT
    Making Mayhem | Because Life is Messy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Summer card with a lovely bow and lace. Thank you for participating in the 'Add a Bow' challenge at House of Cards.

    Ma :)
    House of Cards DT

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, this is really stunning. I love all of the layers and textures and they all come together beautifully.
    Thanks for joining us at HOC.
    Ang, HOC DT Shabby/Vintage

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec