The new challenge begins today at Frilly and Funkie and I am hosting it this time and decided to call it An Altered State.
It is time to transform something you have sitting around or can pick up for a song and make it one of your works of art. It could be a frame, a bottle, an old cigar box, a discarded CD - the list is endless. Just make sure your final transformation is vintage or shabby chic.
Since I have started my Christmas preparations, I decided to make some ornaments. The first one (and my personal favourite) started as a wooden snowflake that my husband designed for me and cut on his laser cutter.
I coated it with a layer of Gesso and then with some Champagne Gold acrylic paint from the Deco Art Metallics line.
Once I got it painted I realized that there was no hole at the top to hang it with or at the bottom to add the bead chain so I asked my handy husband to drill the holes and his drill slipped and one of them was off centre. He drilled another pair and will change the design file so the laser cutter will do the holes in the future and they will be perfect.
In the meantime I had to come up with a solution for covering the pair that didn't look good. I tried just filling them with more paint but that didn't work so I coated the whole thing with a mixture of course sand and texture paste. I expropriated the sand from the bag we keep in the garage for filling in between our interlocking bricks. Once this layer was dry, I just repainted it with the metallic acrylic paint and I love the effect. Tip - to keep the holes from getting filled with texture paste, just stick a toothpick in them while you are working.
Next I created and attached two bead chains made from a variety of beads in my stash from Arton Bead Supply and from Michaels. The small chain at the top has a jump ring at the end so it can be attached to the tree. I wire everything to my tree but the jump ring would also be needed if you use a metal ornament hangers.
I found some free Christmas sheet music online, changed the colour to red and printed it on each side of some heavy paper. Then I cut small squares and inked them all over with Antique Linen Distress Ink and the edges with Vintage Photo Distress Ink. The squares were then formed into cones and the point was nipped off so they would not overlap in the centre when they were attached to the snowflake.
Next I altered the colour of a filigree flower using a mixture of Cranberry, and Poppyfield Alcohol Ink blended with some Gold Mixative. The filigree flower was attached to the centre. I used some pearl stickers to create a circle on a piece of transparency and added it with a bead in the centre.
My next ornament started life as a used CD.
I printed some more of the music paper, cut two circles slightly larger and attached them back to back after I inked them all over with Antique Linen DI. Tip - In order to find your hole (I only used one this time), just attach one circle, re-punch the hole and then add the second circle and re-punch the hole again.
I made a bead chain to hang the ornament with and attached it next. Then I cut a mat from some gold card stock in my stash using Spellbinders Fleur de Lis Squares die. I fussy cut an image from the Graphic 45 paper pad called Christmas Carol and added that on top of the mat.
Next I used a poinsettia die from Marianne Creatables to cut a poinsettia from some the Graphic 45 papers. Because my poinsettias hang over the edge and the back of the paper was patterned, I just painted it with some Dark Scarlet acrylic paint from Deco Art. I added some shimmer to the petals once they were shaped by mixing some red glitter with crystal glitter paint from Craftsmart and painting it on. A few flowers from Wild Orchid Crafts and Excelsior Wholesale were added along with some pearl stickers from Kaisercraft.
The final ornament, which is designed to fill one of those pesky long spaces on my tree started with three wooden circles that were leftovers from when my husband cut beer paddles.
I coated them with Gesso and then glued some crumpled tissue paper to them with Mod Podge. Then I rubbed them with some Red Geranium Archival ink and gave them a spritz with some Cherry Pie Dylusions.
Once they were dry I dabbed them randomly with a mixture of Cranberry, and Poppyfield Alcohol Ink blended with some Gold Mixative and then lightly inked over them with some Black Soot DI. Finally I added some gem strips from Recollections that have been hanging around in my stash for ages. The circles were attached to each other with screw eyes that I also altered with the alcohol ink and some beads from my stash.
I am going to enter the first ornament in the following challenges:
A Snowflake's Promise - Anything Christmas/Winter
Stamps & Fun = Creativity - Music Paper
We Love 2 Create - Anything Creative/Mixed Media Goes
Allsorts Challenge - Anything But A Card
Altered Eclectics - Anything Altered/Mixed Media Goes (No cards or ATCs)
The following products used in the creation of these ornaments came from The Funkie Junkie Boutique: