Tuesday, January 5, 2016
It is time for a new challenge at Anything But Cute and this time Anne is our hostess and she is calling it "Ring Out The Old, Bring In The New". She describes it this way:
To celebrate the New Year, we would like you to create a mixed media card or project using something 'new', perhaps you got some fabulous new craft item for Christmas or you have something new that you have not used yet - just remember to tell us what the new item is!
My husband is retiring and he started to bring things home from his locker and bits and pieces from his desk. He brought a whole bunch of small tags (Avery Shipping Tags #6) and I thought I would use them for this project since they are new to me. They are rather thin so I wish I had glued two together to give them a bit more stability but if I am careful I can probably do that now as long as I am willing to refinish the background since I did both sides. OK, so I am not adding another tag - too much work.
I didn't take photos of my process but I will explain in my narrative how I created the tags.
I started by coating each one with Liquitex Clear Gesso on both sides. Then I inked them with Twisted Citron, Carved Pumpkin and Mustard Seed Distress Ink all of which are new colours that I just purchased.
Next I sprayed them with some Lindy's Starburst called Ramblin Rose Pink, dripped some Tim Holtz Barn Door Distress Spray Stain on them and added some Liquitex Red Oxide Acrylic Ink with a natural sea sponge.
I did some stenciling with Wendy Vecchi Fern Green Archival Ink and a TCW stencil called Mini Circles along with Wendy Vecchi Tree Branch Archival Ink and a TCW stencil called Mini Chicken Wire Reversed.
Next I added some stamping on the fronts only with Jet Black Archival Ink using a stamp from Kaisercraft called Sheet Music and a stamp from the Tim Holtz Ultimate Grunge set.
Now it was time to embellish and for this first one, I adhered some old book paper to a scrap of card stock and traced around a couple butterflies on a Heidi Swapp stencil using a .005 Pigma Micron Pen. I fussy cut the butterflies and then inked one with Wendy Vecchi Orange Blossom Archival Ink and one with her Dandelion Archival Ink. I layered them and added some pearls for the body.
I dyed some seam binding and some cheesecloth with Carved Pumpkin and Mustard Seed DI. Then I added a little strip of corrugated cardboard over the cheesecloth that was painted with Medium Yellow acrylic paint from Folk Art. Then I coated it with Gloss Mod Podge and highlighted the raised areas with some Classic Treasure Gold wax paste. I added some small beads to the top of the cardboard.
The key is new came from the clearance section at Michaels. I altered it with some Poppyfield Alcohol Ink. The button is from my stash and the text is computer generated and then inked with Carved Pumpkin DI. The fiber around the seam binding is really old and has been in my stash for so long I do not remember who made it.
On this next tag, I adhered more old book paper to a scrap of card stock and used an EK Success punch to punch out three flowers. They were inked with Wendy Vecchi Red Geranium Archival Ink and then outlined using the Micron Pen. I stacked them and added a button from my stash.
I ran a scrap piece of orange card stock through a Cuttlebug embossing folder called Victoria and then punched flowers with a smaller EF Success punch. The raised areas were highlighted with Rose Quartz Treasure Gold wax paste and a pearl was added for a centre. All the flowers were mounted on a strip of red burlap. The bronze butterfly was altered with a mix of Sunset Orange and Lemonade Alcohol Ink. The text was done the same as the first tag and I finished the top with the same seam binding and fibre.
On the final tag, I created the butterflies in the same manner as the first but just reversed the colouring. The strip of cardboard was painted with Pumpkin acrylic paint from Deco Art. The arrow is from my stash and was altered in the same manner as the key. Again the text was done the same as the first tag and I finished the top with the same seam binding and fibre.
I am going to enter this project in the following challenges:
Allsorts Challenge - What's New
Crafty Friends Challenge - Use Something New
Crafty Calendar Challenge - Something New
Live and Love Crafts - Something New