Thursday, May 5, 2016

Thinking Pink


It is time for the new challenge at Stamps and Stencils and Branka is our hostess this time.  She is calling the challenge Think Pink and describes it this way:

"For this challenge we would love to see a mixed media project that has some pink in it somewhere! The possibilities are endless! Don't forget to include some stamping or stenciling or both in your mixed media project! We can't wait to see what you create! "

I have a little stash of things in my studio that I have been collecting to alter and one of them was a oval wooden plaque with a chain that I picked up at Dollarama for $1.25, not a dollar - WUWT. The wooden things you get from there usually come from China and are made of pretty cheap wood, which is why they are being sold at the dollar (or more) store. That means that as soon as you try to paint them, the wood swells and under normal circumstances you would be sanding for ages to try to get them smooth. But they lend themselves very well to mixed media when you are adding texture because you don't have to sand them.

I have been helping my daughter pack to move so there aren't any process photos this time but I can explain how I created this hanging.

I started by covering the wood with a coat of Liquitex Gesso. Then I crumpled up some tissue paper, smoothed it back out and glued it to both side of the plaque using Mod Podge and added a coat on top with more Mod Podge.

Next I used some Golden Light Molding Paste with a Wendy Vecchi stencil called Checkmate and a Prima flourish stencil to add some texture.  I also used some Golden Clear Tar Gel to create some random drips.

Then I coated everything with Gesso again before I started adding paint.  First I coated it with Fresco Finish Blush and then with Fresco Finish Candy Floss.  After that coat barely started to dry I removed some of it with a baby wipe.  Then I dry brushed some Craftsmart Blush Pearl on in random spots.

Next I rubbed on some Spun Sugar and Picked Raspberry distress ink and some Magenta Hue Archival Ink in various areas.  I added some stenciling with Magenta Hue Archival Ink and a TCW Mini Tiny Circles stencil along with Wendy Vecchi Watering Can Archival Ink and a criss cross stencil I made myself.  I also added some circles with the lid from a spray bottle and some DecoArt Crafter's White and Folk Art Medium Gray Acrylic Paint.

The butterflies were cut from card stock on the laser machine and coloured with Picked Raspberry DI.  Using some Watering Can Archival Ink I stamped the large butterfly with a script stamp from Recollections Haunted set and the little one at the bottom with a polka dot section from the Wendy Vecchi Large Collage background stamp.   The butterfly at the top was stenciled using a Jenni Bowlin stencil called Pointed Star.  I layered each patterned butterflies on top of a plain one for some dimension and then added some pearls stickers to the bodies.

Finally I created the sentiment on the computer, cut it into sections and inked the edges with Picked Raspberry DI before I adhered it to the hanging.

I hope you will join us for this challenge and share your pink projects.

10 comments:

  1. Cec, your altered pink oval wooden plaque is simply fantastic! What a clever idea! I love butterflies and yours are just stunning! Wonderful quote too!
    Big hugs! Branka xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the texture you have going on here. Cutting the sentiment out in separate words really gives your plaque an edgy look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning make! Love the little butterflies and the gorgeously created texture.
    Hugs
    Samra
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely stunning!! The texture is amazing!! I love the pink!! Gorgeous!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well it is definitely pink but it is also very beautiful and elegant with the gorgeous butterflies and the wonderful textures you have created in the background. The little touches of black and white, and the lovely hanging piece are just the icing on the cake!

    Missing you already.... Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty Cec! Love the chain and the pretty quote! And your layered butterflies are fabulous. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful work Cec - so full of texture and that beautiful pink - lovely! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful plaque Cec. Love the textures and gorgeous shade of pink xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfectly pretty in pink! Beautiful plaque Cec! Ruth xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec