Thursday, July 7, 2016
Tic Tac Toe at Stamps and Stencils
It is time for a new challenge at Stamps and Stencils. The talented Toni is our hostess this time and decided we should play Tic Tac Toe following the graphic below.
Since summer vacation time is upon us, I decided to make a beach-themed wall hanging using the centre row vertically. I started with a square of mat board and topped it with a piece of corrugated cardboard. I ripped the top layer off around the edges to expose the corrugations and then dry brushed it with some Deco Art Bleached Sand acrylic paint.
Next I grabbed a piece of white card stock and tore the edges before I coated it with white Gesso from Liquitex. I used some Golden Light Molding Paste through a Tim Holtz stencil called bubbles. I also dabbed on some Golden Course Pumice Gel in random spots around the edges.
Then I started painting with a layer of Fresco Finish Antarctic followed by a layer of Fresco Finish Lake Wanaka that I wiped back in spots with a baby wipe. Next came a bit of Deco Art Peacock Pearl metallic acrylic.
Once the paint was dry I added some sprays - Tim Holtz Tumbled Glass Distress Spray Stain, Lindy's Starburst Jack in the Pulpit Teal and Moonshadow Mist Buccaneer Bay Blue. I used Wendy's Vecchi's Cornflower Blue Archival Ink and stamped some circles from a Tim Holtz set I picked up at Michaels that had no name.
The next step was to change the anchor from a lovely wooden piece that my husband made for me to something that looked like it had been on the bottom of the ocean floor for ages. To accomplish that I used the Finnabair Rust Paste set from Prima and some Deco Art Media Patina Green Antiquing Cream - love the way it turned out and how easy it was.
I dipped some chunky cord, kitchen string and cheesecloth in a cup of weak tea to make all of them the same colour. The chunky cord was added as the hanger for the project while the string is wrapped around the anchor and the cheesecloth is tucked under it. I am wishing now that I had grunged up the string because it looks too clean attached to that rusty anchor. Finally I added some driftwood (a.k.a. wood chips expropriated from the local playground), small shells, glass chunks and beads.
I am going to enter this project in the following challenges:
Eclectic Ellapu - Anything Goes
We Love 2 Create - Anything Creative/Mixed Media Goes
Altered Eclectics - Anything Mixed Media
Rhedd's Creative Spirit - Anything Mixed Media
Mixed Media Mojo - Summertime (twist - use shells)
Anything But Cute - Summertime Fun