Thursday, July 7, 2016

Tic Tac Toe at Stamps and Stencils



It is time for a new challenge at Stamps and Stencils.  The talented Toni is our hostess this time and decided we should play Tic Tac Toe following the graphic below.


Since summer vacation time is upon us, I decided to make a beach-themed wall hanging using the centre row vertically.  I started with a square of mat board and topped it with a piece of corrugated cardboard.  I ripped the top layer off around the edges to expose the corrugations and then dry brushed it with some Deco Art Bleached Sand acrylic paint.

Next I grabbed a piece of white card stock and tore the edges before I coated it with white Gesso from Liquitex.  I used some Golden Light Molding Paste through a Tim Holtz stencil called bubbles.  I also dabbed on some Golden Course Pumice Gel in random spots around the edges.

Then I started painting with a layer of Fresco Finish Antarctic followed by a layer of Fresco Finish Lake Wanaka that I wiped back in spots with a baby wipe.  Next came a bit of Deco Art Peacock Pearl metallic acrylic.

Once the paint was dry I added some sprays - Tim Holtz Tumbled Glass Distress Spray Stain, Lindy's Starburst Jack in the Pulpit Teal and Moonshadow Mist Buccaneer Bay Blue.  I used Wendy's Vecchi's Cornflower Blue Archival Ink and stamped some circles from a Tim Holtz set I picked up at Michaels that had no name.

The next step was to change the anchor from a lovely wooden piece that my husband made for me to something that looked like it had been on the bottom of the ocean floor for ages.  To accomplish that I used the Finnabair Rust Paste set from Prima and some Deco Art Media Patina Green Antiquing Cream - love the way it turned out and how easy it was.

I dipped some chunky cord, kitchen string and cheesecloth in a cup of weak tea to make all of them the same colour.  The chunky cord was added as the hanger for the project while the string is wrapped around the anchor and the cheesecloth is tucked under it.  I am wishing now that I had grunged up the string because it looks too clean attached to that rusty anchor.  Finally I added some driftwood (a.k.a. wood chips expropriated from the local playground), small shells, glass chunks and beads.

I am going to enter this project in the following challenges:

Eclectic Ellapu - Anything Goes
We Love 2 Create - Anything Creative/Mixed Media Goes
Altered Eclectics - Anything Mixed Media
Rhedd's Creative Spirit - Anything Mixed Media
Mixed Media Mojo - Summertime (twist - use shells)

 Anything But Cute - Summertime Fun

24 comments:

  1. Oh my, Cec, your wall hanging is simply spectacular! Love your awesome textures, love your besutiful background stamping, love all the wonderful embellishments and I adore that rusted anchor! What a super cool rust effect you've created! Love it! Big hugs! Branka xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your summer themed panel Cec! Superb rusting on that anchor, and love the texture around the edges and the addition of the shells, sea glass and little beads. A great interpretation of that middle column! Toni xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun fun summer themed plaque! Love what you did! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am totally addicted to sea themed projects and I love yours Cec! I actually love the pale coloured string on the rusty anchor, it is a wonderful contrast and the shells and beads look great. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooo I love this - its fabulous! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have created such a wonderful wall hanging !

    Thank you for joining in the fun at Mixed Media Mojo.

    Good luck in your challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, Cec, you had me at RUST! Love this nautical hanging! Your rope is just fine the way it is, and provides nice contrast to that yummy grungy anchor! Hugs! Oops! And thank you for joining our Summertime Fun challenge at Anything But Cute! It would be more fun if you were still on the team! Hope you are having a nice summer! Hugs again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your beach themed wall hanging Cec it's perfect to get us in the mood for a summer break. Have a great weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was so distracted by your beautiful sea themed project I forgot to say thank you for joining in our Summertime Fun challenge at Anything But Cute! Hugs, Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Cec, I forgot to say thank you so much for joining in our Summertime Fun challenge at Anything But Cute! Big hugs! Branka xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just so pretty, Cec! Especially against the lovely white corrugated card with the rope hanger! A great "frame" and contrast! Love your take on our challenge. <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic wall hanging Cec ! I love how you've rusted the anchor and even better your hubby made it ! Sue C X

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your wall hanging. Thank you for being with us at Altered Eclectics!!!
    Hugs,
    Arlette DT

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so cute! I would hang this in my Beach Bathroom!! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this beach theme!! Thanks for sharing with us at Altered Eclectics!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is wonderful Cec, fabulous layers and textures (love the rusty anchor!) and all those lovely seashells. Thanks for joining us at Mixed Media Mojo! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, this is so gorgeous!! The texture and layers are amazing!! The rusted anchor is spectacular!! I love the seashells!! They add the perfect touch!! What a stunning project!! Thank you so much for playing along at Anything But Cute for our Summer Fun challenge!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this,great layering and textures...and a great entry for our challenge over at Rhedd's Creative Spirit...x

    ReplyDelete
  19. o I do like to be beside the seaside - beautiful hun Thank you for sharing with us over at Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month and hope to see you again in future challenges.

    Handcrafted by Ellapu
    Mother Hen for Altered Eclectics
    Mother Hen for Eclectic Ellapu
    DT Rhedd's Creative Spirit

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your beautiful hanging Cec!Admire all the rust and textures. Thanks for joining us over at Mixed Media Mojo.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so lovely. Love the nautical theme. Thank you for entering your project at Rhedd’s Creative Spirit. Sammy-x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely wall hanging. So pretty. Thank you for joining us at Altered Eclectics this month. Hope to see your beautiful art work back here again soon. Judy DT

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE your hanging Cec!!!
    Just so great and beautiful with all the seashells and details, also the texture is awesome. And your rust is really fabulous.
    Hugs, Coco X

    ReplyDelete
  24. great summertime project
    thanks for joining us at Mixed Media Mojo

    Barb Housner (DT)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec