Sunday, April 15, 2018

Altered Bottle


I decided to play one day a while back and altered a bottle that I picked up from a charity shop for $2.00.  The bottle came with a glass and cork stopper so I think it was meant to be a wine decanter.

Sorry, there are no process photos because I was intending to use this for myself as decor in my great room.  I have a 15 foot ceiling so tall items look best but this turned out to be too short on its own even though it is 12" tall.  I guess I will alter a couple more bottles and make a grouping.  Lucky for me my Son-in-Law owns a restaurant and he has been giving me some cool whiskey bottles so I have lots to work with.

In the meantime, here is how this one came together:

1.  Painted it with white chalk paint (Americana) because that seems to stick very well to glass without any other prep.
2.  Coated it with a layer of Black Gesso (Finnabair).  Using black chalk paint would have saved me step #1 - live and learn.
3.  Covered it with Crackle Paste (Golden).
4.  Used Soft Gel Medium Matte (Golden) to adhere a variety of elements to the bottle - lace, flowers, buttons, metals, charms and wood bits.
5.  Painted everything with Black Gesso (Finnabair).
6.  Painted everything with Black Cherry Acrylic Paint (Folk Art).
7.  Sponged on some Aged Mahogany Distress Stain (Tim Holtz).
8.  Rubbed the highlights with Rose Quartz and Aquamarine Treasure Gold Wax Paste (Connoisseur Studio).

I am going to enter this in the following challenges:

Country View Challenges - Pimp it Up! (Reuse or alter something).
We Love 2 Create - Anything Creative/Mixed Media Goes
Crafter's Castle - Anything Goes - Optional Dimensional Projects
Creative Artiste - Anything Mixed Media Goes
Try it on Tuesday - Recycle Something

12 comments:

  1. Nice work!!! I like altering bottles and jars too. I have a video on the crackle paint technique that does not involve buying Crackle Paste or Crackle Paint...you might want to check it out (my youtube name is jjgz4ever). Thank you so much for entering our challenge at Crafter's Castle this month....good luck :)
    Hugs... Janie
    DT
    Crafter's Castle
    crafterscastle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful project. Thank you for joining us at TioT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Great find and I love this transformation! Thank you so much for joining us at Try It On Tuesday! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks wonderful, beautifully done! Thank you so much for joining in with our challenge at Country View Crafts and have a fun week. Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fabulous transformation. I love all the detail and the lovely rich colour of of the piece. I'm sure it will look awesome in your dining room.
    Thank you for sharing this with us at Try it on Tuesdays Cec.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW - this is awesome! Thank you so much for joining us at Try It On Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful bottle, lovely project

    Thanks for joining us at Try It On Tuesday challenge

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely altered bottle. The texture is amazing. Thank you for joining us at Creative Artiste this month. Hope to see you back here again soon. Judy DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful altered bottle.Thank you for playing along the ATG challenge at the Crafter's Castle blog. - Priya Satish DT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such an amazing transformation 😀. Thanks so much for joining us at Try it on Tuesday and many congratulations for making out Top 5 with your beautiful altered bottle! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful transformation of a bottle! It looks amazing!
    Thank you so much for playing along with our challenge at Country View Crafts this month. Have a wonderful day!
    Evelyn xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. amazing altered bottle....thanks for joining Crafter's Castle Challenges

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec