Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Surf's Up


The new challenge starts today at Frilly and Funkie.  Kathy is our hostess and calls it Surf's Up.  She describes it this way:

Who's ready for a little sand, a little sun, a little surf? Let's take a little stroll beside the shore and create a vintage or shabby chic project with a beachy theme. Use ocean colors or beach images to add a fun seaside feel to your project.

When I started to think about what I was going to make for this challenge, I had lots of great ideas running around in my brain and then fate stepped in and changed the course of my creating when I stood up from my desk and heard the worst crunching sound from my knee and I almost landed on the floor.  I have spent a lot of time playing couch potato with my leg elevated and an ice pack on my knee.  Unfortunately this has prevented me from spending much time at my desk so I had to come up with a plan I could execute in short bursts and it also meant no process photos along the way.  I am improving and I am really, really bored although I have managed to read a few books and get caught up on some TV so I guess it isn't all bad.

Anyway, back to my card.  I started with some white card stock (Staples) for the blank and then added a distressed panel of patterned paper from a pad called Voyage Beneath the Sea (Graphic 45) that was inked with Frayed Burlap Distress Ink (Tim Holtz).

Next I cut a panel of white corrugated cardboard (The Funkie Junkie Boutique) and inked it with some Abandoned Coral Distress Ink (Tim Holtz).

Two tags came next.  The first one is cut from a pad called St. Tropez (Prima) and the other one is cut from the fabric paper that I made for my Saturday Showcase that you can find HERE.  Both tags are topped with some burlap ribbon that I split in half lengthwise so it would be a little more frayed.

When I thought about how to embellish my card, I decided to add beach-themed icons.  First, I tied a little net from some twine and added it to the fabric paper tag.  Then I found some word art on my computer that I created a few years ago so I printed that, distressed the edges and inked it with Antique Linen Distress Oxide (Tim Holtz).

The sunglasses is actually a button that I altered by cutting the shank off and then inking the frame with Terracotta Alcohol Ink (Tim Holtz) and then rubbing with some Rich Copper Wax Paste (Prima).

The starfish is made from Crafter's Clay (Martha Stewart) and a silicone mould (Wilton) and then it was coloured with Rusty Hinge Distress Ink (Tim Holtz) and a bit of Terracotta Alcohol Ink.  I used a White Pen (Stigno) to highlight the bumps on the starfish.

The flip flops are clip art that I coloured with Antique Linen and Frayed Burlap Distress Oxide (Tim Holtz) using a water pen.  The umbrella is also clip art that I coloured with pencil crayons (Prismacolors) blended with OMS (Gotrick) and added a wooden skewer for the

I used the Shabby Posies die (Tammy Tutterow) to cut the "Hibiscus" from a scrap of card stock and then coloured it with Abandoned Coral and Picked Raspberry Distress Oxides (Tim Holtz) before I added the stamens, which were also coloured with Picked Raspberry DO.  If you are wondering why this flower, well I Googled "Flowers at the Beach" and this is what came up so I went with it - Google is such a great resource.  Finally, I added a miniature shell that I found in my shell.

Given my current physical state, I think sitting on a lounge chair at the beach would be more fun than hanging out on my couch and thinking about all the tasks/chores I should be doing.

6 comments:

  1. Love it! Fab design and love the colours x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This vibrant collage just screams "Beach Break!" and I love all the thoughtful details you've added. Your starfish is fabulous! Perfect color scheme and great use of the elements. I can close my eyes and hear the surf rolling in! Love it! Hope your knee is improving daily...that sounds like a big owie! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have several of those sunglasses buttons from a restaurant here that closed down. What a fun embellishment to this beautiful and lively make! I can smell the salt from here! Super inspiration for this theme. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cec, your beach themed card is so adorable! I love the G45 paper as the background, and all those embellishments are so perfectly and thoughtfully added. This reminds me of the 'shore' up in Ocean City NJ where I lived when I was in high school--kind of kitschy in a good way. Your hibiscus is incredibly lifelike and your star fish looks fabulous!

    I hope your knee is feeling better each day! I don't think getting up from a beach chair would be much fun in your state! Sending healing hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Layering up those wonderful tags with all your beach themed elements works beautifully on this card Cec. And that gorgeous hibiscus is the perfect centre point that takes it to a tropical place. Love it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the knee is better! I love your beautiful sea inspired card! The layered tags add such a lovely dimension. The hibiscus, flip flops, sunglasses and umbrella transported me to a tropical paradise!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec