It is time for the new challenge at Frilly and Funkie. Suzz, who is the hostess for this one calls it August and describes it this way:
The current challenge is inspired by the month of August. In doing a little online research I learned that the month of August was re-named for Augustus Caesar. He was the first Roman Emperor and was very proud of the influence he had on the architecture of the country. For this challenge I am asking you to be inspired by marble, arches or columns. You will need to create a vintage or shabby chic project using some type of marble effect, arches or columns.
I have created a card that could be used for many occasions, which is why I have not included a sentiment. Here are the steps used to put it together:
- Scored a piece of card stock or heavy paper on the back side every half inch. I used a dark gold toned paper from the St. Nicholas paper pad (Graphic 45).
- On the right (front) side of the scored used a Walnut Stain Distress Ink pad held at a slight angle and inked straight down the length of the panel.
- Turned the panel upside down and repeated the inking to create a wood fence look.
- Sprayed shaving foam (not gel) on a tray and added drops of Walnut Stain, Gathered Twigs and Vintage Photo Oxide Reinker (Tim Holtz) randomly on the shaving foam.
- Used a wooden skewer to drag the ink to create a marbled look.
- Laid a piece of heavy card stock over the inked shaving foam and rubbed it lightly with the palm of my hand.
- Lifted the card stock off the shaving foam by one corner and scraped off the shaving foam that is attached.
- Once dry, sponged three applications of White Gesso (Dina Wakely) over the marbled panel in a pouncing motion to lighten the colours being careful not to drag the sponge.
- Cut an arch shape on the top and then inked the edges with Vintage Photo Distress Ink (Tim Holtz).
- Made the window box by cutting some card stock and folding the sides and bottom to the back. At this point I intended to use my Finnabair Rust Paste but it had hardened up again. The last time this happened I put a few drops of water in it and put it in the microwave for a few seconds and it softened it up enough to use but this time it defied me so on to plan B.
- Mixed some of the Brown Rust Paste in Heavy Black Gesso to create a black grit paste and coated the window box with this mixture. I am determined not to waste that much product.
- Dry brushed some Melted Chocolate and Squeezed Orange Paint (Dylusions) randomly on the window box until a rust effect was achieved.
- Die cut three sets of flower petals from Mulberry Paper using the Shabby Posies die (Tammy Tutterow).
- Dyed pairs of the petals with Fossilized Amber, Abandoned Coral and Spiced Marmalade Distress Oxides (Tim Holtz).
- After petals were shaped, layered them and added a brown pearl (Kaisercraft) to each centre.
- Cut a variety of leaves and vines from two shades of green paper from the St. Nicholas pad (Graphic 45)
- Stamped a small butterfly from the Entomology set (Tim Holtz) using Versamark (Tsukineko) and then embossed with Orange Blossom Embossing Powder (Wendy Vecchi).
- Adhered the wood panel to a card stock blank and then added the marble panel followed by the window box.
- Glued most of the vines and leaves on the window box.
- Added the flowers I made along with some roses (my stash) and some little Wild and Free flowers (Prima - discontinued).
- Tucked a few more leaves among the flowers.
- Added the butterfly.
The following products used to create this card came from The Funkie Junkie Boutique: