Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Tag of Three


It is time for the new challenge at Frilly and Funkie.  Sara Emily is our hostess and calls it Let Me Count the Ways!  Here is what she has to say about it - read carefully because it is probably not what you are thinking.

Since it's just a day away from Valentine's Day, the opening line of Elizabeth Barrett Browning's famous love poem "Let Me Count the Ways" (Sonnet 43) comes to mind. "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways." For this challenge, I would like to see your vintage or shabby chic project that includes three of something. This could be three colors, three words, three stamps (you get the idea); just be sure to tell us what those three elements are.

I thought it might be fun to make a tag this time since I so rarely do. I used a tag cut from mat board that was in my stash because it was the only one I had that would not warp when I added wet medium.  Here is a link to the tag section of the shop because Linda carries a variety and many are not only designed for mixed media but they come in all sorts of sizes.

Here is how to put this together:

1.  Cover both sides of the tag with White Gesso (Dina Wakley)


2.  Cover the gesso with Lime Acrylic Paint (Dina Wakley)


3.  Use a sponge to pounce on some Squeezed Orange Acrylic Paint (Dylusions) followed by some Lemon Zest Acrylic Paint (Dylusions)


4.  Decide which side you want to make the front and add some Texture Paste (Ranger) through a Flourish Stencil (Tim Holtz)


5.  Use Jet Black Archival Ink and stamp the flower from the Mix and Match Art set (Wendy Vecchi) onto Specialty Stamping Paper (Ranger) six times


6.  Fussy cut the flowers and ink with Ripe Persimmon Distress Ink (Tim Holtz)
7.  Use a water brush (Tim Holtz) and Ripe Persimmon DI to add some shading to the flowers
8.  Shape the petals and layer two together to give you three full flowers


9.  Use the Garden Greens die (Tim Holtz) to cut a couple branches from scraps of yellow card stock, and a couple ferns from scraps of lime green card stock
10.  Ink the edges of the branches with Wild Honey Distress Ink (Tim Holtz) and the edges of the ferns with Twisted Citron Distress Ink (Tim Holtz)
11.  Die cut a couple of leaf trios from white card stock and ink with a blend of Wild Honey, Twisted Citron and Ripe Persimmon DI (this was an afterthought so there is no photo)
12.  Dye some seam binding with Twisted Citron DI
13.  Ink the edges of some Big Chat stickers (Tim Holtz) with Twisted Citron DI

To assemble the tag:

Add the greens down the side of the tag and top with the flowers.  Add the sentiment stickers and loop the seam binding through the top hole.

This was a quick tag to put together and is full of threes - three paints, three flowers, three types of greenery, three sentiments.  I hope you will join us for the challenge.  One randomly chosen winner will receive a gift certificate to go shopping at The Funkie Boutique and the Design Team will choose their top picks with the overall winner receiving an invitation to be a Guest Designer at a future date.

The following supplies came from The Funkie Junkie Boutique:

7 comments:

  1. So bright and happy in the dead of winter! Great tag, Cec!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very vibrant and beautiful! Love the words you selected to go with your delightful and cheery tag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Cec! Your tag is magnificent! I love those bright fresh colors and gorgeous flower cluster! This is a new favorite for me, and I think you leaned a little to the funky side this time--yay, you! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every step of the way I can see you logic with your use of three Cec, from those colours to the three sweetly coloured flowers your tag creation is a splendid display. Vibrant in colour bringing springtime speedily to our thoughts for those of us just waiting for it to happen.
    A real delight for us all with those three statement words. I love it..!
    Creative wishes Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cec! I really like how you separated these flowers from their stems and bundled them like so. Such a bright and springy tag! I hope you are well and wanted to thank you for your kind words of encouragement on my blog. I've missed seeing your art! Big hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  6. A much welcomed pop of Spring colour Cec! I love how you've teamed the vibrant patterned background on the tag with those beautiful flowers and stems x

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec