Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Fashionably Vintage


It is time for the new challenge at Frilly and Funkie.  Sara Emily, our hostess for this one calls it Pass the Tissues, Please!  She describes it this way:

Since we are still in 'cold season', I always make sure I'm stocked up on tissues in my home, in my purse and in the car. For this theme, I would like to see how you incorporate tissue paper into your vintage or shabby chic project. You can use regular tissues, tissue wrapping paper, sewing patterns or even collage paper, rice papers or tissue wrap designed especially for crafting.

When I made this I was waiting on some new papers I had ordered so I decided to use up some of the pretty and very vintage Graphic 45 papers in my stash. But first I had to decide how to incorporate the tissue theme. I tried making some tissue paper flowers similar to the kind we used to make years ago to plaster on a friends wedding getaway car. Unfortunately the tissue paper is so thin now that didn't turn out well and hit the garbage.I debated using some collage paper but I just used it on a recent card so I wanted something different this time. Then I had an ah-ha moment and decided to make a panel for the card using tissue paper.


Start by crumpling a sheet of tissue into a tight ball.  Notice that the package says premium quality - NOT.  It came from the dollar store but even the tissue from the stationary store isn't much heavier.


Carefully open the ball of tissue up and using a matte medium to adhere it to a piece of heavy card stock.  To make sure it is stuck, use the palm of your hand and pat on it.  Do not rub it or it will tear while it is wet.  Make sure you don't smooth it out too much because you want it to have some texture.


Once it is dry, cut it in strips (I did 3/4" strips) and weave it.  I found it wanted to move and didn't want to stay squared up so I would suggest that you attach it to a grid as you work.  Once you have it woven and really tight, glue all the loose strips on the edge to the strips running the opposite direction and cut it to the size you want.

The final step in making the panel is to ink randomly over it with distress ink to coordinate with the paper you are using.  I used Scattered Straw, Tattered Rose and Bundled Sage (Tim Holtz) since they looked great with the papers from A Ladies Diary (Graphic 45).

The steps to assemble the card are:

1.  Distress the edges of a panel of patterned paper, ink them with Vintage Photo Distress Ink (Tim Holtz) and adhere to the card blank.
2.  Ink the edges of the woven tissue panel with Vintage Photo DI and add it.
3.  Cut a piece of ephemera from the patterned paper, distress and ink the edges and add on top of the woven tissue.
4.  Fussy cut the vintage ladies from the paper pad, ink the edges and add them with some dimensional foam.
5.  Die cut some black branches using the Garden Greens die (Tim Holtz).
6.  Fussy cut the postage stamps from the paper pad, ink the edges and add them on top of the branches.
7.  Die cut three flower petals from each of two patterned papers using the Shabby Posies die (Tammy Tutterow), ink the edges, shape and layer.  Add some shaped black dots for centres.
8.  Punch three petals from a third patterned paper, ink, shape and layer.  Add a button from the chipboard embellishments in the paper collection.
9.  Add all the flowers to the card and then tuck a chipboard clock from the paper collection behind the centre flower to complete the card.

So dig out some tissue type paper and let's see what you can come up with.  The challenge runs through 11:55 pm EST on Tuesday, March 26th.

The following products used to create this card came from The Funkie Junkie Boutique:

5 comments:

  1. How clever to weave that tissue paper panel! And what a lovely card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cec, your woven tissue wrapped panel is such a creative element on this beautiful vintage card! You make the prettiest cards and this one is exceptionally so! Love the colors and the wonderful design! Sending hugs your way, and hopefully some warmer weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a soft, pretty, feminine card! Love the summery flowers and your pretty patchwork tissue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful feminine chic card with the very cool layer of tissue paper. I adore what you did with the weaving of the tissue paper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a genius solution for incorporating that thin tissue into your wonderful card Cec!!! I love how it sets the tone for the whole colour theme and adds so much texture whilst remaining subtle. Love it! xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec