Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Embellishments, Trinkets & Trims


The new challenge at Frilly and Funkie begins today and Jenny is the hostess this time.  She calls it Embellishments, Trinkets and Trims and here is what she has to say about it:

Linda sells a huge array of beautiful embellishments, trinkets and trims in her store, from metal filigree pieces and charms to buttons, laces and ribbons. They can be the important focal point on a project or the final finishing touches that complete it. However you wish to use them lets see those embellishments, trinkets and trims in action on your vintage or shabby chic entries.


I decided to alter a very inexpensive composition notebook and make the embellishments the focal point.


I gave the cover a coat of White Gesso (Dina Wakley) and then added a layer of torn strips of Melange Tissue Wrap (Tim Holtz) using Collage Medium (Tim Holtz) to adhere it.


The next step was to add some texture in random areas on the front and back with a stencil called Gothic (Tim Holtz) and texture paste (Ranger).  Once the paste was dry I gave it another coat of White Gesso.


Then I used Gel Medium to adhere all sorts of embellishments on the front cover - venise lace, buttons, metals and gems (some seed beads were added later).


A good coat of White Gesso was added next.  Tip:  Insert a piece of waxed or parchment paper inside the front and back cover to keep the paint from seeping inside.


Now it was time for lots of paint layers.  I used Cracked Pistachio and Mermaid Lagoon Distress Paint (Tim Holtz) along with Lime and Peacock Acrylic Paint (Dina Wakley).  More lime was added after the photo was taken.


I used some Garden Patina Archival Ink (Wendy Vecchi) and two stencils, Checkmate and Dots and Stripes Borders (Wendy Vecchi) to add some random stenciling on the front and back.

Once the paints were dry I rubbed wax paste on all the raised areas.  I used some from my stash but will link to some in the shop that would work well.  Then I splattered some watered down White Gesso over the outside.

Since the inside covers had text on them, I carefully covered them with White Gesso and then used Collage Medium to add some turquoise tissue (Dollarama) that I crumpled up and then carefully opened up again.

I hope you will dig into your stash and create something to share with us.  The Design Team will choose their top picks with the overall winner receiving an opportunity to be a Guest Designer at a future date.  One randomly chosen winner will receive a gift certificate to go shopping at The Funkie Junkie Boutique.

Links to The Funkie Junkie Boutique:

Tim Holtz Idea-ology Adornments Floral TH93789

6 comments:

  1. I love all the textures you added with your tissue wrap and stencils. And the waxed paper tip is brilliant! Such a pretty notebook, Cec!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous way to use your embellishments, trinkets and trims, Cec! I love the texture you've created on the background and your color choices, too! A beautiful and useful project, to boot! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I love the beautiful colors and all the wonderful trinkets and embellishments! Fabulous take on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing! I would love to try this! There is so much detail, and the colors you chose are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful way to use your embellishments to completely alter your book cover Cec! Love the mix of blues and greens and the way you can still see some of the patterned tissue beneath the stencilling. Beautiful! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, scrumptious vivid colours and perfect collaging of the trinkets as a centrepiece. A great altered book cover.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec