Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Little Angel


It is time for the new challenge at The Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog and Suzz who is our hostess for this one is calling it Leap Into the Odd.  Here is how she describes this fun theme:

2020 is a leap year which means we will have an additional day in February ending on an odd number of days. The definition of odd is "different from what is usual or expected; strange." My challenge to you is to create something odd or unusual. Also you must tell us what is odd or unusual in your project when you share it with us!

When I first started to think about what I might create I was a little stymied but then the idea for this collage popped into my head.  Most often when I see an angel or fairy depicted, they are females so I thought it would be fun to make an angel out of this little boy.  Given that he is all dressed up, I am betting that he is really a little devil in disguise.

I was having so much fun creating that I forgot to take any process photos so stick with me and I will walk you through it.

I started by preparing the 8" x 8" deep stretched canvas itself. First I used a Harlequin stencil (Tim Holtz) with some texture paste (Ranger) to add texture in random areas on both the front and sides. Then I covered the whole canvas with White Gesso (Dina Wakley).

The canvas was then covered with Sand Acrylic Paint (Dina Wakley) and then some watered down Peacock Acrylic Paint (Dina Wakley) was brushed and sponged on randomly.  Finally some water was added to some Gathered Twigs Distress Oxide on my kraft sheet and the canvas was pounced onto the beads that formed to give the appearance of splatters.

Next I started to assemble the collage elements, which are a mixture of fibers, papers from the Dapper paper pad (Tim Holtz) and Idea-ology items.  The lace and cheesecloth have been dyed with Vintage Photo Distress Ink (Tim Holtz).  Text paper from Dapper was inked with Gathered Twigs DI while the old book paper was inked with Vintage Photo and Cracked Pistachio DI.  The ruler is paper from the Dapper pad and has not been altered.

The paper doll (Tim Holtz) was inked with Vintage Photo DI and his Transparent Wings (Tim Holtz) were inked from the back with a combination of Aqua, Mushroom and Copper Mixative Alcohol Ink (Tim Holtz).  I used Vintage Photo DI to ink both the Chit Chat Sticker and the Quote Chip (Tim Holtz).

I dyed some tea bag paper with some Gathered Twigs and Vintage Photo DI and then used Coffee Archival Ink (Ranger) and the stamp from a set called Border Lines (Seth Apter) to create the strip on the right of the collage.

Finally I added a Trinket Pin (Tim Holtz), a rusted piece of hardware and a button (from The Funkie Junkie Boutique but used with the back side showing).

So there you have my little angel collage.  I hope you will think about something odd and join us for the challenge.  It runs until 11:55 pm EST on Tuesday, March 3rd.  One randomly chosen entry will receive a gift certificate to go shopping at The Funkie Junkie Boutique and with all the new products coming in, that would be a nice thing to have.  The Design Team will choose their top four picks and the overall winner will receive an opportunity to be a Guest Designer with us at a future date.

Supplies list:

Dina Wakley Media Mediums - White Gesso MDM41689
Ranger Texture Paste Opaque Matte INK44444
Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz Layering Stencils - Harlequin THS016
Dina Wakley Acrylic Paints - Sand, Peacock
Tim Holtz Distress Inks - Vintage Photo, Gathered Twigs and Cracked Pistachio DI, Gathered Twigs DO
Tim Holtz Alcohol Ink -Aqua, Mushroom, Copper Mixative and Blending Solution
Ranger Archival Ink Pad - Coffee AIP31451
Tim Holtz Idea-ology Chitchat Stickers TH92998
Carved Coconut Shell Buttons - 5/8"
Scor Tape
8" x 8" Deep Stretched Canvas
Tea Bag Paper
Old Book Paper
Burlap
Lace
Cheesecloth
Tim Holtz Idea-ology - Dapper Paper Pad, Trinket Pin, Quote Chip, Transparent Wings
Seth Apter Border Lines Rubber Stamp Set

6 comments:

  1. Cec, I so love your canvas! The idea of using wings on a boy Paper Doll is odd indeed, but how fabulous he is the among all those grungy elements. Your canvas coloring is gorgeous! Well done! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant Canvas! Your winged boy is fantastic and definitely unusual from the winged fairy/girls! Love how you layered this together so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your canvas, and love your description of 'devil in disguise', immediately brought to mind Eddie Haskell from Leave it to Beaver!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cec I love the clever twist with the little boy fairy and adore the mix of textures you've included in this beautiful canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your collage and love the background, it is such a pretty color!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec