Wednesday, February 26, 2014

I Surrender


The new challenge at Frilly & Funkie starts today and will run for the next two weeks.  Sue is our hostess and she wants to see vintage or shabby chic cards or other projects with lots of STENCILS AND TEXTURES. So, for this challenge let's see you use your stencils on your projects but also lets see some texture too ! This can be embossing, texture paste or even fabric.

I created this card after I couldn't get a good layout on another attempt no matter how hard I tried.  And then there was all the sickies in my family that I have been looking after as well as trying to deal with my poor Mother-in-Law who will be 92 next week, lives in an assisted living facility 2000 miles away and has dementia and now has the worst case of shingles.  Finally there is the SNOW, which never seems to end along with the brutal cold so I just decided to SURRENDER and make a winter card with some stenciling, some stamping and some texture with the embossed panel and the laces and ribbon.

I started with some white card stock from Staples for my card blank and then created a background by sponging Broken China, Weathered Wood and Faded Jeans distress ink all over another piece of white card stock.  Then I did a little flicking with some water and once it was dry I used a Dylusions stencil to add the dots on either side with the Faded Jeans distress ink..

Next I stamped the snowflakes from the Artistic Output stamp set called sleigh ride with Jet Black Archival Ink.  I wanted them to be white but they either came out very pale when I used a white stamp pad or not very crisp when I used paint so I opted for black and they stamped beautifully and the contrast is interesting.

Next I made an embossed panel using some Maja paper and a snowflake stencil from Cuttlebug.  After I did the embossing I sanded down some of the embossed area, distressed the edge and inked it with some Faded Jeans distress ink.

I made the stamped panel next with some white card stock, the image from the Artistic Outpost stamped with Jet Black Archival Ink, a distressed edge and some more inking.  The silver bow is some lacy crochet ribbon.  I added some venise lace and pleated some satin ribbon that was in my stash.

The snowflake was sponged with Snowcap Adirondack alcohol ink mixative blended with silver Adirondack Silver alcohol ink mixative and once dry I sponged on some Sail Boat Adirondack ink.  Finally a few little silver snowflakes cut from card stock and some white pearls were added to finish this card off.

I am going to enter this card in the following challenges:

Everybody-art Challenge - Ribbon or Lace
2 Sisters Challenge - Embossing
Inkspirational Challenges - Designer's Choice (Embossing, Ribbon or Lace, Metal or Charms)

The items shown below came from The Funkie Junkie Boutique where the prices are always less than the manufacturer's suggested retail price:

6 comments:

  1. As well as being a beautiful card, this is a tribute to your level of perseverance at a difficult time Cec. Love the way you've combined everything with this gorgeous vintage image. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it rains, it pours. Oh wait, it snows. You are a good dil to try and help your mil. Your card turned out very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cec!
    I adore your gorgeous winter card, and the title is so very appropriate. I hope you have been able to dig out of all that snow, and am praying everyone in your home is starting to feel better. Sending hugs across the miles!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous detail and I love the silver crochet bow. Thanks for joining us at Ink.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love this Christmas card. Fabulous layout and a wonderful Christmas image. Thanks for sharing with us at Inkspirational. Meighan DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you've really been going through the mill, which makes this card all the more impressive. Beautiful textures, and fabulous frosty colours and shimmer.

    Hope things settle down and warm up for you soon!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec