Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Summer Dream


It is time for a new challenge at Frilly and Funkie and Nancy chose the theme and is calling this one It's Summer.  She wants everyone to let us know what you love about summer. Do you enjoy traveling, growing a garden, or laying on the beach? Create a vintage or shabby chic project, card, or layout showcasing what you enjoy most about this wonderful season.

I love to travel but this summer we are sticking pretty close to home because the exchange rates are through the roof.  That makes me sad so I decided to make a vintage travel-themed tag to cheer me up.  I remembered one I had seen here and thought I would CASE it although I don't speak French and there was no translator on her blog so I had to figure out how to re-create it on my own and then knowing me I had to give it a few extras.  Since it has a nautical spin to it, there is lots of blue involved.  I also think this would be great for a guy and think I will give it to my husband as a nudge to get him to change his mind about not traveling this year.  Stay tuned to see if it works :)

I started with one of the large manilla tags that Linda sells in the shop and added Broken China Distress Ink over a criss cross mask (the sections that were left when I made a stencil with my Cameo recently) and through a swirls stencil.  Next I took my natural sea sponge and dabbed Stormy Sky DI all over.  Finally I used Walnut Stain DI with a TCW called Mini Ledger to add some vintage text.

Next I cut the anchor and ship wheel from Grunge Paper with my Cameo.  I painted the wheel with Folk Art Coffee Bean acrylic paint and then scratched on some Deco Art Honey Brown with the tines of a fork.  I painted the anchor with Deco Art Rich Espresso Metallic paint and went over the chain with Folk Art Antique Gold acrylic paint.  I added some jute cord to the top of the anchor.

The map is from The Graphics Fairy and I converted it to sepia on my computer, lightly inked it with Broken China DI and then inked the edges with Walnut Stain.  The compass was a black and white freebie I found online and I converted the black to brown, printed it, fussy cut it and then inked it with Antique Linen DI and took Walnut Stain to the edges.

The sailboat is also from The Graphics Fairy and I fussy cut it and inked it with Antique Linen DI.  I realized after it was on the tag that I should have converted it to sepia - oops.  The text is computer generated and has been inked with Antique Linen DI and edged with Walnut Stain DI.  Finally I dyed some seam binding with Broken China and Stormy Sky DI.

I am going to enter my tag in the following challenges:

Monday-Mood-Board - Photo Inspiration
A Gem of a Challenge - Something Blue
Kreativeinkauf-challenge - Travel
Sparkles Forum - Vintage/Shabby Chic
Cheerful Stamp Pad - Travel to Faraway Places
Get Creative Challenges - For the Boys or Father's Day

The following products used in the creation of this tag came from The Funkie Junkie Boutique:

20 comments:

  1. This is superb Cec! I love the whole Summer travel theme - the globe looks perfect nestled amongst the sailing ephemera and that background... oh yes! LOVE it. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous tag my dear!!! I would have done the same theme you did if I was asked to make summer card :) To me summer is a vacation and beach :) Thank you for the inspiration and have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Cec, this really is a Summer Dream!! Your entire tag just has such a cool and refreshing feel to it, I really want to live in that world you created there!! Love the anchor, what a great addition! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, wundervoll!
    Danke für die Teilnahme bei der KE-C.
    LG Dreja

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous tag....I especially love the map, but all of the details go together so wonderfully. You are showing off those mad computer and cameo skills with this one. Show him this tag, I bet he will take you to the lake, lol. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the gorgeous tag! OVER THE TOP!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A dream of a tag, it looks fantastic Cec.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Cec, I have such a huge soft spot for nautical and for this. Seriously cool stuff!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well dearie, I sure hope your DH does enjoy this tag and then you get to visit many wonderful places this summer because you deserve to vacation time. This tag is so Wowzers! The way you use your computer and images sure does have me shaking my head on wonderment! This is fan-freakin-tastic! Hugz to you muffin! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous, my favorite theme, really a summer dream!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful vintage/shabby chic style tag. Thank you for sharing with us at Sparkles Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing your lovely crafting for the Cheerful Stamp Pad challenge 113, Hazel, DT - hope to see you again soon x

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is just gorgeous! It certainly does take me away to the sea with all of the fabulous colors.

    Jeannie T.
    Dragonfly Journeys

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cec, this is a great nautical tag, and I think it's just amazing the way you used all the technology to create it! This Cameo thing sounds like a gem of a tool, to make those awesome cuts! Speaking of awesome cuts, I would hire you as a surgeon, because you sure did a great job of fussy cutting that boat! Wonderfully designed tag!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous, very clever work on the layers. I love it. Good luck. Thanks for joining us at Sparkles Monthly. Caz

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is seriously FABULOUS, Cec. I love the color palette you chose and all of the wonderful nautical elements you have pulled together here. The background is perfect too. A terrific travel tag - hope it works some magic on the DH and he is inspired to take a trip!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just love the vintage feel to this, it's awesome! Thanks for playing along with my Monday Mood Board challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing tag,I love the sea theme and the colors that you've used give a vintage look ! I love it! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great tag - thanks for joining us at Sparkles.

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec