Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Bright Resist


It is time to introduce the new challenge at Frilly and Funkie called Dare To Resist.  Autumn is our host for this one and she describes it this way:

Happy Valentine's Day dear readers! For the next two weeks, as we break away from our Valentine creations, we'd love to see you incorporate a favorite resist technique in your vintage or shabby chic project. There are so many options, perhaps you will try something new. Whether it be gesso resist, Vaseline resist, alcohol resist, embossing resist, or watercolor resist, we dare you to resist!

We have had a miserable winter with lots of snow and cold and only a few days with sunshine so I decided to make a card that was lovely and bright to cheer myself up.

I started with some white card stock for the blank and added a panel of polka dot paper from a Graphic 45 pad called Voyage Beneath the Sea.  Next came some orange check paper from my stash.  Both papers were distressed before they were added.


To make the resist feature, I cut a scrap of white card stock into a panel and added Crazing Collage Medium thickly through a Flourish stencil to cover it and then allowed it to dry naturally.  I apologize for the photo but it was difficult to get a decent photo of this on the white card stock.  If you click on the photo, it will bring up a larger view that shows the design a bit better.


Once the panel was dry I sprayed it with Lemon Zest, Bubblegum Pink and Squeezed Orange Dylusions and watched the resist present itself.  I distressed the edges and added this panel to the card.



The next step was to make my flowers.  I used Tammy Tutterows Pinwheel Posies die set to cut a number of petals from crinoline using two of the dies.  The crinoline petals were dyed using Lemon Zest and Bubblegum Pink Dylusions and while they were wet, I scrunched them up and held them together with paper clips until they were dried.  Then the petals were layered and stamens were added to the centres.  Along with the stamens, I added a half pearl covered with clear micro beads to the centre of the large flower.  Some mini sweetheart roses were also dyed pink.


I cut a little scrap of paper from the Graphic 45 paper into a tiny tag and stamped a flourish from Daisy Art onto it using Jet Black Archival Ink.  The edges were distressed and a bit of paper cord ribbon was added to it.


I cut some white leaves from the Garden Greenery die set and scraps of white card stock.

To assemble the card, I added the flowers and the leaves with a loopy bow.  Next I added some lace topped with a Quote Chip.  The little tag was added next along with a polka dot button and an altered filigree metal piece that I recycled from an old project.

I hope you will join us for this fun challenge - you could be a random winner of a gift certificate to The Funkie Junkie Boutique or the Design Team's top pick, which means you will receive an invitation to be a Guest Designer.  The challenge runs until February 27th at 11:55 pm EST so you have lots of time to create.

9 comments:

  1. I can feel your longing for sunshine and springtime and warmth in this beautifully bold composition, Cec. I love that resist technique! I would not have thought of doing that, but it's brilliant! Your handmade flowers are perfection. Sending you warm wishes and a hug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a joyful card with so many glorious colors! I love the collage resist and the soft shadow the flourishes make on such a beautiful card! A drop of golden sunshine on a cold wintry day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This card brightened my day! The bright white against those colors pops like crazy, just fabulous! The flowers have me feeling like spring is right around the corner! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Cec, I could just eat this with a spoon! What an uplifting card filled with those sunshiny colors. Perfect for (another) dreary day here in the south. Great resist technique with the crazing! If mine weren't hard as a rock, I'd give it a try! Sending you hugs and Happy Valentine wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Cec! Crazing resist has to be on the top of my to do list now - this is such an incredible result! I'm also adoring your crinoline flowers and these bright springy colors, which I am craving these days. Excellent resist and inspiring project! Happy Valentine's Day my friend! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful solar card, I love the crackle and it's always a surprise to see how the color stands out the cracks!
    Hugs, Stefi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cec this is stunning! Those rich colours make me long for some spring sunshine here in Denmark. Your resist technique is SO clever. You rocked the challenge. XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE that Crazing resist background Cec!!!! It pops with those bright beautiful colours and the zingy flowers you chose to go with it. Great card! xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec