Thursday, February 1, 2018

Create Collage


Today is the start of the new challenge at Stamps and Stencils and I am hosting this one and am calling it Off to Collage.  Here is how I describe it:

No I am not sending you to school but thought it might be fun this month to make a collage. You can use any substrate such as canvas, corrugated cardboard, wood, or canvas boards for instance and add any items to it as long as you include some stamping and/or stenciling.

I have been wanting to get and use some of Seth Apter's products for the longest time and recently bought a die set and a couple of stamp sets so I decided to use them to make a collage inspired by Seth.  I had so much fun making this that I totally forgot about taking process photos along the way so I have done close-ups instead.

I started with an 8"x10" canvas board (Artist's Loft) and gave it a coat of White Gesso (Liquitex) followed by a coat of Lake Wanaka Fresco Finish Chalk Acrylic (Paper Artsy).  Using a sponge I added Mudstone Acrylic Paint (Delta Ceramcoat) randomly over the canvas. and then did the same with Clear Blue (Accent), Seafoam (Folk Art) and Espresso (Craftsmart) Acrylic Paints.  I also added some circles using the lid from a mini spray bottle and Jet Black Archival Ink (Ranger).

Next came some stamping using Jet  Black Archival Ink and stamps from the Faded Fragments and Border Lines sets (Seth Apter).I also used some Translucent Embossing Paste (Wendy Vecchi) and a mini dots stencil that my husband cut for me to add some stenciling.


I cut a small piece of corrugated cardboard and removed the top layer to expose the ridges.  Next I dry brushed a bit of the Lake Wanaka paint over the ridges and then added s bit of Bleached Sand Acrylic Paint (DecoArt).

I used the Drip Dry Die (Seth Apter) and scraps of card stock to cut the large drippy circle and four of the smaller one, which were then glued on top of one another to make a thick set.  I made them look rusted by painting on some Brown Rust Paste and Red Rust Paste (Finnabair).

When I opened the rust paste I was dismayed to find that they had really hardened up and they were still 3/4 full.  I figured I couldn't lose anything so I added a few drops of water and then put them in the microwave on a really low power setting to soften them up and it worked.  I was able to use them although the next time I open them they may be as hard as a rock because you know what can happen to food that have been microwaved.  Just to be safe and not have the rust flake off, I coated the pieces with some matte Mod Podge.


I added some copper chain (Bead Landing) to a frayed canvas strip and mounting it on the canvas and then added the cardboard topped with the rusted die cuts.


Next I used Jet Black Archival Ink and a stencil called Typo (Tim Holtz) to add the word Create to some canvas ribbon (Fancy Gap Pottery and Fabric Outlet).


To make the little centre panel on the bottom, I painted a piece of chipboard with Seafoam paint, sponged on some Bleached Sand and then stamped the little circles from the Faded Fragments set.  I added some frayed canvas and a heat sync that I confiscated from my husband's workshop.


The panels on each side were made by painting chipboard with the Seafoam and Bleached Sand paints and then adding some Clear Rock Candy Distress Crackle Paint (Tim Holtz).  The little pieces mounted on them were also confiscated from my husband.  They are the turn screws that you used to use to add connectors to your computer back in the olden days before USB ports. 😃 I altered the colour of the ends with some Copper Mixative Alcohol Ink mixed with some Blending Solution.  Then I wrapped them with a variety of fibers and wires adding a some altered washers and nuts as I went.  This is a Seth technique that my friend Jenny Marples introduced me to.

I got some money at Christmas for crafty shopping so when all of Seth's new products are available to ship, you can bet I am getting some more.  Meanwhile I have a list - a list that is getting larger every day.

I hope you will join us at Stamps and Stencils and show us a collage that you have created.

I am going to enter this project in the following challenge:

More Mixed Media Challenge - Anything Goes (Optional - Blue)

7 comments:

  1. Stunning texture on your piece Cec! Admire all Seth Apter's products you have used so clever!
    Great design!
    Lula x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful piece Cec - I love the colours and fabulous textures - plus the super interesting bits and bobs you added! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great piece. Love everything about it but especially the small wrapped pieces and the Drip Dry focal point you created. Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous project Cec ! Love the rusting (ingenious putting it in the microwave !) and the turnscrews are a wonderful touch ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work. Thank you for joining the challenge at More Mixed Media. Hope to see you again next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love this collage, the drip dry die piece is rustylicious...I've used the microwave to rescue and help in crafty situations before...nothing is safe from me in the house :). The beads or wrapped found objects is a technique I've seen Seth demo on line and it's fab, really want to try that too. A great Seth inspired collage and thanks for a great challenge theme Cec. Hugs Ruth xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec