Wednesday, January 30, 2019
It is time for a new challenge at Frilly and Funkie. Kathy is our hostess this time and she is calling it Winter Blues. Here is what she has to say about it:
January is the longest winter month and lots of us get the "winter blues". Let's take the winter blues in a positive direction and create a mostly monochromatic vintage or shabby chic project done up in shades of blue. You may use a bit of white, beige or grey for contrast, but I would like the blues to be front and center in this project.
I have been known to overthink my creations but this one came to mind very quickly and for a change looks the same in real life as it did in my head. I made this card just 5" square and here is how to put it together:
1. Cut and distress a piece of blue patterned paper 4 3/4" square, distress the edges and adhere to the card blank. Note: I used some paper leftover from the Precious Memories pad (Graphic 45) but any blue paper that suits your fancy will do - there are lots of options available in the paper section at The Funkie Junkie Boutique.
2. Use Soft Matte Gel Medium (Finnabair for Prima Marketing) and glue a piece of Botanical Collage Paper (Tim Holtz) to a piece of white card stock 4 1/2" square.
3. Dry brush White Gesso (Dina Wakley) over the collage paper.
4. Use Crackled Texture Paste (Wendy Vecchi) and the Crossed stencil (Tim Holtz) to add random areas of texture around the outside of the collage paper panel.
5. Once the panel is dry, distress the edges and adhere to the card on top of the patterned paper.
6. Using the Shabby Posies die (Tammy Tutterow), cut a variety of petals (I cut 3 of the largest and 3 of the next size down) from crinoline. Note: The Tattered Florals die (Tim Holtz) would be a nice alternative.
7. Dye the petals with Tumbled Glass Distress Oxide (Tim Holtz) and allow to dry in an egg carton so the petals have some shape before layering to form a flower.
8. Use the Tumbled Glass DO to dye some seam binding and once it is dry create a loopy bow.
9. Use Glossy Accents (Ranger) to glue a number of large white seed beads to an old button and then spray with Tumbled Glass Distress Spray Stain (Tim Holtz) before adding to the centre of the flower.
10. Use a mixture of Snow Cap Mixative, Aqua and Sail Boat Blue Alcohol Ink to alter a bronze filigree medallion. Note: I cut the medallion in half and kept the other half for a future project.
11. Pat any remaining ink onto a piece of Gloss paper (Ranger) and die cut a flourish from it.
12. Use a scrap of turquoise card stock to die cut the branch from the Skeleton Leaves die (Tim Holtz) and then cut the leaves off the branch.
13. Use white card stock and die cut a small branch of leaves from the Garden Green die set (Tim Holtz), shape the leaves and ink the edges with some Tumbled Glass Distress Ink (Tim Holtz).
14. Cut a small piece of venise lace and ink the edges with Tumbled Glass DI.
15. Layer all the embellishments tucking everything in various spots under the large flower.
16. Ink the edges of a little sentiment from the Small Talk sticker collection (Tim Holtz) with Tumbled Glass DI and add it to finish off the card.
With winter in full force in the northern hemisphere, I bet you have the winter blues too so why not banish them by going into your craft space and creating a project for this challenge. The challenge is open until 11:55 pm EST on February 12th and you have a chance to win a gift certificate to go shopping at The Funkie Junkie Boutique or you could be one of our top picks with the overall top pick receiving an invitation to join us at a future date as a Guest Designer.
The following products used to create this card came from The Funkie Junkie Boutique:
Tim Holtz Idea-ology Collage Paper Botanical
Dina Wakley Media Mediums - White Gesso MDM41689
Studio 490 Wendy Vecchi Texture Paste - Crackled WVPASTECRA
Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz Layering Stencils - Crossed
Sizzix Alterations Tim Holtz Tattered Florals Bigz Die- 656640
Sizzix Thinlits Die Set 5pk - Skeleton Leaves by Tim Holtz 66309
Sizzix Thinlits Die Set 9PK - Garden Greens by Tim Holtz 661206
Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pad - Tumbled Glass TIM27188
Tim Holtz Ranger Distress Stain Spray - Tumbled Glass TSS42570
Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Oxide Pad - Tumbled Glass
4 Piece Antiqued Bronze Filigree Pieces - Set of 4
Ranger Adirondack Alcohol Ink - Snow Cap Mixative AL31611
Ranger Adirondack Alcohol Ink - Sail Boat Blue TAB25535
Ranger Tim Holtz Alcohol Ink - Aqua
Ranger Inkssentials Gloss Paper 8.5 X 11 PAP12887
Prima Art Basics - Soft Matte Gel (8.5 fl. oz.) Transparent
Ranger Inkssentials Glossy Accents GAC17042
Tim Holtz Idea-ology Small Talk Stickers TH93193
Ranger Inkssentials Alcohol Ink Applicator With 10 Blending Felts TIM20745
Ranger Inkssentials Mini Ink Blending Tool - With 4 Blending Foams IBT40965
Scor-Pal Scor-Tape 1/8" x 27 Yards
Scor-Pal Scor-Tape 1/4" x 27 Yards
Scor-Pal Scor-Tape 3/8" x 27 Yards
Tim Holtz Tonic Studios Paper Distresser 370E
Tim Holtz 5 Inch/ 12.3CM Titanium Snip 816E