Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Watercolour with Distress Ink


Welcome to 2019 and the first challenge of the year at Frilly and Funkie.  I am the hostess for this one and am calling it Inspired By.  Here is how I describe it:

I don't have access to quality craft classes locally so I spend time online to learn new things. For this challenge I want you to create a vintage or shabby chic project inspired by or using a technique or tutorial that you have found online. You must provide a link to the site that is inspiring your creation and please do not make a direct copy of anything you found.

I usually colour images with pencil crayons but wanted to do something different this time.  I have been watching a number of technique tutorials and decided to try water colouring on the stamp with distress inks.  I used a YouTube tutorial that I found HERE as my inspiration and this is my first attempt so be gentle.



1.  Put the stamp of your choice on a stamp platform along with a piece of water colour card stock and leave both in place during the initial colouring.  I have the platform that Linda used to sell but will link to the Tim Holtz platform she is carrying now.  I also used a Wendy Vecchi flower stamp that I had and will link others that are in the shop and should work for this technique.
2.  Use a variety of Distress ink pads (Wild Honey, Tea Dye, Worn Lipstick, Shabby Shutters, Peeled Paint) to colour the stamp starting with the stem and leaves of the flower, stamp and then clean the stamp before you move on to the next colour.  The mini stamp pads would be easier to use but I don't have them so I used some make-up sponges to add the colour.  In the above photo I accidentally got some of the flower colour on the top of the leaf so I tried a second time but didn't take a photo.



3.  Once you are happy with the colour on the card stock, remove the card stock from the stamp platform and finish water colouring.
4.  Use a water brush to move some of the colour on your stamped image.
5.  Pat more colour onto an acrylic block and use the water brush to enhance some of the colour or to add shading or highlights.

To assemble the card:

1.  Cut different panels of patterned paper from Graphic 45's Garden Goddess and Gilded Lily paper pads.  I love that I can use different collections and find the same colours - great to mix and match and avoid wasting the little off cuts/scraps.
2.  Distress the edges of each panel and ink with Vintage Photo Distress Ink.
3.  Add a strip of venise lace to the edge of one panel.
4.  Punch one edge of the smallest panel or cut with decorative scissors.
5.  Layer all the panels and the stamped image panel.


6.  Dye some seam binding with Peeled Paint DI and form into a loopy bow.
7.  Make some paper beads with scraps of the Graphic 45 paper, coat with Vintage Collage Medium and when dry fashion into stick pins with pearls.  I followed a tutorial that I found HERE to make the paper beads and need more practice with this too.
8.  Make a sentiment on the computer, punch or cut it into a tiny tag, add a brad and adhere to the bow.
9.  Punch a tiny butterfly out of a scrap of copper card stock and add to the image panel.


9 comments:

  1. This is so pretty! I've tried this technique before, and it does take some practice. Your first attempt turned out wonderfully! Loving all those distressed layers with the pretty stick pins! Happy New Year, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card Cec! You did great, love it...Hugs! Simo ❤

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Cec that watercoloured flower looks fabulous on those shabby chic paper layers! The bead cluster and bow set it off beautifully to create a card I'm sure the recipient would be thrilled to receive xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty card, love the layers of G45 using the Patterns and Solids pad! I need to try out this technique, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charming water colored flower! Beautifully inspired painting! Love this challenge as it had me trying out something new!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card! Thanks for the tutorial ~jeni :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cec, your water colored flower at the center of this gorgeous card is fantastic! I can't believe this is your first time with this technique, because it looks like you are a pro! Those paper layers are the perfect backdrop and your beads on the stick pins look wonderful! Now I'm inspired to give both of these techniques a try! I LOVED this challenge--probably my favorite of all time. The hardest part: choosing just one thing to be inspired by. Happy New Year to you! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your chosen colours, so pretty giving me warm thoughts that Spring will soon be here. Beautifully embellished, thank you so much for sharing with us.
    Creative wishes Tracey

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec