Thursday, September 7, 2017
Metallics for Stamps and Stencils
It is the start of a new challenge at Stamps and Stencils and this time, our hostess Rachel is calling it Metallics. She describes the challenge this way:
This month I would like you to make a piece involving metallics in some way - it could be metallic paints, rusted metal techniques, actual bits of metal, metal foil ....the possibilities are endless - also please use stamps and/or stencils. Have fun!
I decided to make a wall hanging for my inspiration.
I started my wall hanging by cutting 3 pieces of chipboard (my stash) into 4" x 4" squares and drilled some holes in them. Two of the squares have holes in all four corners and the third one has holes in the top two corners as it will be the bottom panel of the hanging.
I glued a square of burlap (my stash) to one of the panels with four holes.
I added some stenciling on the other two panels using Molding Paste (Golden) through Harlequin and Bubble stencils (Tim Holtz).
All three panels were given a coat of White Gesso (Liquitex).
I painted the panels with some Lake Wanaka Fresco Finish Paint (Paper Artsy).
Next I added some spray inks to the panels - Tarnished Brass, Tumbles Glass and Chipped Sapphire Distress Spray Stain (Tim Holtz) as well as Olive Copper Starburst and Buccaneer Blue Moon Shadow Mist (Lindy's).
I thought the panels could use a little more metallics so I sponged on some Copper and Sun-up Blue Pearlescent Acrylic Ink (FW - Daler Rowney).
I added some randon stamping using a script stamp (Recollections) and Jet Black Archival Ink (Ranger).
To embellish my panels I started by hand cutting cutting some chipboard hearts.
Using an embossing folder (Tim Holtz) I embossed some paper backed metal foil tape. The tape was then adhered to each heart piece and the excess trimmed away.
The hearts were given a coat of Coffee Bean Acrylic Paint (DecoArt) and some of the paint on the raised surfaces was wiped off using a baby wipe.
Next I pounced on a mixture of Poppyfield, Gold Mixative and Copper Mixative Alcohol Ink and Blending Solution (Tim Holtz for Ranger).
I used the same alcohol ink combination to alter some buttons (Fancy Gap, Gears and a Medallion (Bead Landing).
A metal key, clock and arrow were altered by pouncing on some Pitch Black Alcohol Ink.
To assemble the hanging I mounted a heart on each panel and then added the copper metal bits next to the hearts on two panels. The black metal pieces were added to each heart.
Finally some black cord (Dollarama) was used to tie each panel together and the top panel to a piece of branch that fell from a tree in my back yard.
I hope I have inspired you to join us for this Metallics challenge.