Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Letter to Santa


It is time for the new challenge at Frilly and Funkie.  Zoe is our hostess this time and she is calling it By Airmail.  She describes it this way:

I just love sending and receiving letters in the mail. And especially love the stamps, airmail stickers and postmarks that these letters pick up along the way. For this challenge, create a vintage or shabby chic postal themed project. Think old fashioned aircraft, airmail stamps, post marks, postage stamps.

I rolled this one around in my brain for a while before deciding to make a Christmas card and focus on the tradition of sending a letter to Santa.  Since it is to be mailed I also made it fairly simple so it would be flat enough to not require more postage than normal - Canadian postal rates are excessive as it is.

I started to make a 5 1/2" square card and then thought it might be fun to change it up a bit by trimming half an inch off the right side of the front. Here is how I put it together:

  • Cut a panel of St. Nicholas green patterned paper (Graphic 45), distress the edges and then ink with Vintage Photo Distress Ink.
  • Adhere to the right inside of the card and add computer generated sentiment.
  • Cut a panel of St. Nicholas gold patterned paper (Graphic 45), distress the edges and then ink with Vintage Photo DI and adhere to the inside left of the card.
  • Fold red card stock to create a two-pocket holder for Post Cards (Graphic 45 and Vectorstock).
  • Add some green patterned paper (Graphic 45) to bottom pocket and top with a postage stamp (Graphic 45) and adhere pocket panel to inside left of the card.
  • Cut a panel of St. Nicholas red stripe patterned paper (Graphic 45), distress the edges and then ink with Vintage Photo DI and adhere to front of the card.
  • Mat the vintage image (online find) on some green patterned paper (Graphic 45).
  • Cut greenery with Kraft Core card stock (Tim Holtz) and add to left of image.
  • Die cut poinsettia from cream card stock, shape and layer petals and add microbeads to centre before adding to card.
  • Print postage icons (Vectorstock), ink edges with Vintage Photo DI and add top card.
I apologize for the lack of credit for the focal image.  I usually save them to a folder with the name that I need to attribute it too but this time for some reason, I just parked the image on my desktop.

I am loving the fact that I have a start on my Christmas card making.  Now to get on to the 25 or 30 more that I need to make before December - wonder if I will make it!

5 comments:

  1. This is so deliciously nostalgic! I love the little cutaway edge, Cec! Great design choice. That poinsettia is a beauty! You can mail this to me any time! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have all of these papers and I just sat down to create a kit for my paper craft class tomorrow..! We do 3 classes a month and the last class is always Christmas themed. I try to make them so they will be easy to copy at home. By the end of November we should be stocked up and ready to mail cards. This one will be perfect..! Passing along color-printed images makes it more affordable to provide them to the class. I will be directing the ladies in my class to your blog so they can see where I am getting my inspiration this week. I do love the old fashioned images you can find on line and you chose a wonderful one to enhance your one-of-a-kind, lovely card. Thank you for starting my "work" day with a wonderful idea..!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it Cec!!! Christmas is the time we all use the postal service so much so it's perfect for this challenge! Love the beautiful poinsettia and the elegant way you've designed the inside too xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cec, fabulous that you've already started with your Christmas cards! I started right after New Year's last year, and it was a huge help at crunch time! I don't send out as many as you do, though, just to family and family friends. Your card is so lovely--that image is full of nostalgia and sweet as can be. You have designed a beautiful card with gorgeous papers and my favorite--that drop dead poinsettia! Sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really so beautiful Cec! I love the ivory poinsettia and the gorgeous vintage style image. The North Pole cancellation stamps are among my favorite! <3 What a stunner! It has been such a pleasure to be your teammate at F&F and I truly appreciate your friendship and support. Big hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec