Today is an exciting day because it is the launch of a new challenge blog called The Mirror Crack'd. This blog will have monthly challenges devoted to mixed media/altered art projects - but no cards. I am honoured to have been asked to be on this new team and to invite you to join us for the first challenge, which is Anything Goes.
Liquitex). Next I added some drywall tape and Light Molding Paste (Golden) through a Mini Hexagons stencil (TCW).
The next step was to add some paint and this time I used Pumpkin Soup, Mocha Mousse and Cinnamon (all Fresco Finish). I used a baby wipe to wipe it back in some areas. Then I did some stenciling with Black Soot Distress Ink (Ranger) and three stencils; Dots and Stripes Border (Wendy Vecchi), Letter Jumble (Dylusions) and Dotted Flowers (Dylusions). Once it was dry I rubbed the raised embossing with some Classic and Rose Quartz wax paste (Treasure Gold) and the edges with Walnut Stain Distress Ink (Ranger).
Next I started on the embellishments. I cut a couple pieces of cardboard from an old box and removed the top layer to reveal the corrugated layer. I wanted to paint it with a dark brown paint but since I didn't have any, I mixed together some acrylic paint called Coffee Bean and Black (Folk Art) and painted the valley portions of the corrugated cardboard. I also rubbed the peaks with the same wax pastes.
I created the text on the computer and inked the edges with Walnut Stain Distress Ink (Ranger). Next I used Jet Black Archival Ink (Ranger) and stamped some script (Recollections) onto some Hopsack Tape (Fancy Gap Outlet). Then I inked the edges with Walnut Stain and added a couple of brads (Making Memories). Tip: I always remove the legs from the brads and use pop dots to adhere them so everything lies flat.
The next step was to create the wings for the clock. I used paper-backed foil tape used in the heating and air-conditioning industry and hand cut three layers for each wing. Then I took an embossing stylus and other metal working tools (Walnut Hollow) and gave them lots of texture. They were painted with Coffee Bean acrylic paint (Folk Art) and then that was wiped off. Next I blended some Adirondack Caramel, Rust, Ginger and Gold Mixative Alcohol Ink (Ranger) and coated each layer before I adhered them together.
The rest of the embellishments were not altered - Key (Kay & Co.), Clock, Trinket Pin and Lock (Tim Holtz), Gears (Bead Landing) and Button (my sewing basket).
I hope you will join us at The Mirror Crack'd for our first challenge and show us your mixed media/altered art project - but remember, no cards.