It is time for the new challenge at The Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog. Jenny is our hostess for this one and is calling it So Delicate! Here is how she describes it:
Although it's not always evident in my projects, I have a real passion for delicate laces, fragile flowers, fine stitching, intricate artwork and exquisite architecture. For this challenge create something delicate or a vintage/shabby chic project that features delicate things in it.
I think I might be going a little rogue with my offering for this one because my projects are not as delicate as they probably should be. I was tidying up my fabric cupboard and told myself that I better get a move on and use some of it up because there are lots of leftovers from past projects that I haven't really touched for a few years. I even have t-shirt fabric from when I made clothes for my daughter when she was little and it is now decades old.
I chose three that I thought I could feature, convinced my husband to cut me some hexagons out of cracker boxes to use as templates and started cutting. These are no sew projects so everything is put together with PVA glue, which made them really easy to construct.
Template sizes measured from one flat edge to the opposite flat edge:
Fabric - 5 1/8"
Cardboard Base and Quilt Batting - 4 3/8"
Felt Liner - 4 1/4"
Flannelette Pages - 4"
Tip: To draw on the fabric I used a Pilot Frixion gel rollerball pen because it is erasable by just running an iron over the fabric and works beautifully.
Here is how to create these heaxagon needle books:
- Use the fabric template to cut two each of the three fabrics
- Use the second largest template to cut two cardboard hexagons and two from low loft quilt batting for each needle book
- Glue a piece of quilt batting to one side of each cardboard piece
- Centre the batting side of the cardboard bases over the wrong side of each fabric piece
- Turn the fabric over the edges and glue - do one edge and then the opposite edge making sure to gently pull to ensure that the right side is smooth - continue until all six sides are turned
- Cut 2" x 5" rectangles of each fabric, press 1/4" hem on the short edges in and then fold in half and press to create hinged "spines" for the book
- Centre the hinges over the inside of the book leaving a gap between the font and back cover - I left 1/8" but 1/4" would have been better
- Glue the the sides of the hinges to the inside of the covers
- Use Distress Ink to dye seam binding to match the fabric
- Glue a piece of seam binding on each side of the cardboard to act as closures
- Cut pieces of felt to cover the inside of each cover and glue in place - they should be slightly smaller so they don't show when the book is closed (shown on right side in photo above)
- Use regular scissors and pinking sheers to cut a couple of pieces of flannelette for each book (shown on left side in photo above)
- Glue the pages on top of the felt with the straight edge against the felt edge that is next to the "spine"
- Cover the glued edge of the flannel with a tiny strip of lace
- Decorate the front of each book
- Cover a filigree medallion with Ocean Acrylic Paint (Dina Wakley) and add some red gems
- Paint a wooden star with Lemon Acrylic Paint (Dina Wakley) and add a large red gem
- Add the star to the centre of the medallion
- Glue the medallion to the centre of the book front
- Cover two filigree leaves with White Gesso
- Heat emboss with Clear Embossing Powder
- Cut some pink leaf branches using the Garden Green Die Set (Tim Holtz), shape the petals and ink edges with Worn Lipstick Distress Ink (Tim Holtz)
- Layer a couple of paper flowers
- Adhere all the elements to the front of the book
- Adhere a strip of Idea-ology Ruler Ribbon (Tim Holtz) across the front
- Use a flourish die (Spellbinders Venetian Motifs) and paper from Precious paper (Graphic 45) to cut two flourishes and adhere next
- Use ruffled ribbon (Melissa Frances) to create a flower, add a button to the centre and adhere
- Glue a scissors charm to the front cover
Dina Wakley Paints - Ocean, Lemon
Tim Holtz Distress Inks - Spin Sugar, Worn Lipstick, Candied Apple
Bronze Scissor Charms - Set of 5
Antique Bronze Filigree Flower Wraps - set of 3
Bronze Leaf Embellishments - Set of 6
Rayon Seam Binding
VersaMark Watermark Ink Stamp Pad
Tim Holtz Garden Greens Die Set
Tim Holtz Idea-ology Ruler Ribbon
Melissa Francess Ruffled Ribbon
Spellbinders Venetian Motifs Die Set
Clear Embossing Powder