Saturday, September 29, 2012

Christmas Wings



It is Saturday already so that means a new challenge at Sugar Creek Hollow.  This week we want to see THINGS WITH WINGS - BIRDS and BUTTERFLIES - and BATS too.  Don't forget, we are a vintage and shabby chic challenge blog so make sure your cards or other paper-crafted projects are done in one of those styles.

This week I decided to try some of the things that Sue showed me when I visited her for a day on my recent trip to England.  Now I must put a disclaimer in here to say that unlike the fabulous things that Sue can do, my card only has some of the easier techniques- you have to walk before you run, right?

I started with the background and sponged a piece of card stock with Old Paper and Crushed Olive Distress Ink.  Then I took a big snowflake stamp, inked it with white ink and randomly stamped over the green.  I tried to emboss it with some clear embossing powder but I wasn't fast enough.  Once it all dried, I realized it didn't jump out so I took my 40% off coupon over to Michaels and bought Forest Moss Distress Ink.  I sponged that over everything and not only was the green colour more to my liking but the snowflakes popped - now I was happy.

I used my newly purchased crinoline and Tim Holtz Tattered Florals die (purchased at The Funkie Junkie Boutique) and made the big flower, which I dyed with Aged Mahogany Distress ink.  It wasn't as deep a colour as I wanted so I sponged more distress ink over each layer after they dried - now I was happy.  The bird is a digital stamp coloured with Prismacolors.  I knew the tag needed texture so I embossed it with a Forest Branches folder.  Yesterday I discovered something called diffusers which would have allowed the section with the bird to stay flat so needless to say that item has been added to my shopping list.

The snowflakes are little wood cuts that I bought in England and I sealed them with Mod Podge and then when they were dry I rubbed some gold Stickles on with my finger so there would be just a little bit of sparkle.

So I got inky and all in all I am happy with the result of this card but the best of all is that I have another Christmas card ready to go.  I am anxious to try some of the other things I learned so stay tuned.

I am going to enter this card in the following challenges:

C.R.A.F.T. Challenges - Make your own embellishments (Flower)
Crafting for all Seasons - Things with Wings
Simon Says Stamp - Anything Goes
Whimsy Inspiration - Anything Goes
Emerald Faeries - Use a Tag
Creative Craft Challenges 2 - Anything Goes
Digital Tuesday - Say it with Flowers (must have digital element - mine is the cardinal)
Holly Jolly Christmas Challenge - Christmas Tags
Partytime Tuesdays - Anything Goes
The Stamping Boutique - Embossing
Card Mania Challenges - Handmade Flowers
Frosted Designs  - Embossing
Frilly and Funkie  - Linking in the Sunday Share

Image:  Christmas Cardinal (Tracy Vinson - no longer available)
Sentiment:  Computer Generated
Card Stock:  Staples
Colouring Medium:  Pencil Crayons (Prismacolors) with OMS (Gotrick)
Tools & Embellishments:  Aged Mahogany, Crushed Olive, Old Paper, Vintage Photo, Wild Honey Distress Inks (Ranger), Pearl Brad (Gartner), Gold Stickles (Ranger), Fibers (xx), Forest Branches Embossing Folder (Cuttlebug), Circle Punches (EK Paper Shapers), Moonlight White Archival Brilliance Ink (Tsukineko), Snowflake Wood Cuts (Manufacturer Unknown)

12 comments:

  1. Lovely card! Great effect with the embossing over the colored image.
    Thanks for joining us at The Stamping Boutique.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow love this card Cec. Love the distressing and the texture of the wood grain on the tag. Great combo of colours too! Thanks for sharing with us at Holly Jolly this week. Regards Meighan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty Christmas tag. Love your colors you have chosen Thank you for joining us at Come and Get it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great card, love the embossing & embellishments!

    Thank you for sharing with us at Emerald Faeries, good luck!
    Hugs Shell xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a gorgeous card, fab image and I love your flower.
    Thank you for joining us at Crafting for all Seasons.
    Pauline
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you did a fabulous job...the end result is beautiful and you got to experiment with all new ideas, a win win in my book. The image is lovely and love it on the tag and your bg snowflakes turned out beautifully. Love that look.
    hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Love all the details you shared..have got to have a go at that flower...gorrrrr-jussssss!
    Shame Tracy's cardinal no longer available....it's so cute

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing all the different techniques you used. Your card turned out beautifully!!
    Thank you for sharing with us at The Stamping Boutique.

    Stacie
    TSB DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely card!! Those snowflakes are really pretty. Thanks for joining us this week at Frosted Designs!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow ! Fantastic, love your STAMPED background the colours are gorgeous ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Cardinals...and especially in the winter when they stand out! Beautiful colors, love the embossing...and FABBY flower!!
    Hugs
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just beautiful, Cec! Wonderful colors and textures and your crinoline flower came out fabulous - LOVE the color of the flower. Super to have you sharing this beauty with us at Sunday Share over at Frilly and Funkie!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec