Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Golden Sunflower


The new challenge at Frilly and Funkie starts today and Georgie is hostess for this one.  She is calling it A Touch of Gold and describes it this way:

"Metal elements, glitter, embossing powder, paint, ribbon, whatever it is lets see a splash of gold in your vintage or shabby chic projects!!" 

When I was trying to think of what I was going to make I knew from the start that I was going to incorporate some of the Wendy Vecchi Metallic Gold Embossing Paste.  This embossing paste looks like butterscotch pudding in the jar but as it dries it turns a very orange-toned metallic gold so that dictated everything that followed.

I started with some Tim Holtz Color Core card stock for my blank and then used a piece of paper from Maja Designs Coffee in the Arbor paper pad for my background.  I used some Vintage Photo Distress Ink with the Wendy Vecchi Three Flourishes to stencil random flourishes first and then used the embossing paste through Wendy's Checkmate stencil in a couple of corners.

I also used the embossing paste through a Heidi Swapp butterfly stencil on a scrap piece of card stock and once it was dry I fussy cut it and added polka dots with some Tree Branch Archival Ink and a stamp from the Tim Holtz Ultimate Grunge set.  I distressed a mini clothes pin with the Tree Branch and added it as the body.

Next I made the sunflower by cutting four petals from crinoline using the Tattered Florals die by Tim Holtz.  The petals were dyed with Wild Honey Distress Stain and they curled on their own as they dried, which was a good thing because that flower shape has a weak spot and it isn't a great idea to handle it a lot.  Once all the petals were dry I glued them in a stack and added a button (upside down) along with a bow made from burlap string.  I also cut a leaf from the Tattered Leaves die and dyed it with some Peeled Paint Distress Stain.  The petals and the leaf were inked on the edges with the corresponding Distress Inks. 

The two banners on the left are from the Graphic 45 Time to Flourish pad (August) and the right one is just a scrap piece of card stock that I ran through the Tim Holtz Honeycomb Texture Fade.  Everything has been distressed and inked with Vintage Photo DI.  The sentiment is from the G45 pad and I just dyed a little piece of seam binding with Wild Honey for the top and added a tiny Making Memories brad to secure it.  The final touch was some pearl stickers that I got from the dollar store.

I am going to enter this card in the following challenges:

Try it on Tuesday  - Sending You Flowers
Crafty Boots - Fair and Square
The Shabby Tea Room - ABC-123 (Photo Inspiration)
Crafting-with-Dragonflies - Make it Floral
CAS-ual Chic - Pretty Patterns

The following products used to create my card came from The Funkie Junkie Boutique, which is a super place to shop and has new products arriving all the time.

22 comments:

  1. This is stunning.....Very gold. I love how you used the mini peg for the body of the butterfly.....very inspiring. I also like your description of how you made your flowers. Thank you for sharing it with us at Crafting with Dragonflies. Wynn DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very brautiful card. Lovely colours and design.
    Thank you for joining us at TioT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card. Love all the layers and distressing and the colours are fab too. Thanks for joining in at Crafty Boots Challenges this time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A gorgeous card Cec, love the summer colours and of course the beautiful flower. Thank you for sharing it with us at TioT's as well.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - that's a real ray of sunshine - gorgeous!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card, I love the autumnal colours and the big floral focal point. Thank you for sharing your work with all of us at Crafty Boots Challenges.

    Dionne

    ReplyDelete
  7. All my favorite colors Cec so you gotta know it makes me feel happy to see your GORGEOUS creation. The colors you put together are just so WONDERFULLY delightful as is your flower. Sooooooooooo inspiring... makes me want to go find some gold!!! j.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cec, your card just makes me so happy and warm! Your crinoline sunflower is fabulous, and I know what you mean about that particular flower. I love it, but every time I make it with fabric it falls apart! The colors are just gorgeous, and I love that you added those pops of turquoise! I just love your cards and this is one of my favorites! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such lovely distressing and a gorgeous fall color palette! I'm a sucker for fishtail banners and fabulous florals, so this card makes me happy, happy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiufl card!GORGEOUS!
    Thank you for joining TIOT's!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  11. How gorgeous, beautiful focus on the large flower, great details and colours, thanks for playing with us at Crafting with Dragonflies, blessings Hilde

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful color combination. Love the clothespin on the butterfly. Thanks for joining us this week with the shabby tea room

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bright, vibrant and more than a touch of gold, I love the way you've contrasted the flower with the banner strips and added gorgeous stencilling. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  14. This really is fabulous! Such lovely colours. ...and a little reminder that Autumn is around the corner! Thank you for joining us at Try It On Tuesday! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank goodness Mr. Blog let me leave a comment today. I want to say: Gorgeous! This reminds me of laying in an open field on warm summer Southern day filled with bliss and watching the clouds move and form interesting shapes. Loves it Cec! You did an amazeballs card here dearie! Hugz to you muffin! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous, bright and so warm card, Cec! Your sunflower is just perfect! I am so inspired by your fantastic card!
    Hugs! Branka xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this color combination! So bright and warm!
    Thank you for taking part of the CAS-ual Chic monthly challange!
    Stay Happy, Stay Creative!
    Zoey ( www.scrapsaurus.blogspot.com )

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a gorgeous card!! Thanks for sharing it with us at CAS-UAL Chic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A beautiful splash of sunshine is what this is and whoever receives it will be able to feel summer every time they look at it! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I just love hearing how you made this amazing flower! Will have to try that! Fantastic card!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cec,
    I get inspired every time I visit here. Your card is gorgeous. I love all the layers and the metallic embossing detail. And the flower is perfection!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love all the shimmer the gold creates...Beautiful card, thank you for sharing it with us in The Shabby Tea Room

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec