Wednesday, January 13, 2016

A Night at the Opera


It is time for a new challenge at Frilly and Funkie and I am the hostess this time and am calling it Sing, Sing, Sing.

Make a shabby chic or vintage project with music as the central theme. You can add musical instruments, music paper, sentiments about music or even vintage images with a music theme.

I should probably write a disclaimer - I can't sing or play a musical instrument but I do love to listen to music, especially jazz and 1940s and 50s big bands but not rap, most country or heavy metal.  I also don't really understand opera but I do like classical music and am really impressed with the voices of the great opera singers.

Now on to my card.  I have never used this image by Rick St. Dennis so I thought this might the perfect time to colour her and build my card around her.  She looks like she is all dressed for a night at the opera - or perhaps she is the star.

I started with some card stock from Staples for the blank and then added a background panel of paper called Golden Age from a Graphic 45 paper pad called A Gilded Lily.

The next panel was scrap card stock that I inked with Tattered Rose and Spun Sugar Distress Ink and then added some texture paste through a Tim Holtz stencil called Flourish.  Once it was dry I mixed some Lindy's Magicals Fuzzy Navel Peach with some cc and painted that on.  I dyed some lace with Antique Linen, Tattered Rose and Spun Sugar Distress Ink and added that under the panel.

Next I added a panel of cream card stock that I ran through a Tim Holtz texture fade called French Script and then inked the highlights with Wendy Vecchi Tea Rose Archival Ink.  The vintage opera poster was added next and came from Italianways.com.

The musical note strip was die cut for me by Pamellia on one of my visits to her and I inked it with some Black Soot Distress Ink.

I coloured the gorgeous and very well dressed lady with Prismacolors that I blended with Gotrick OMS.  She is popped up with some foam dots.

The floral corner and the button were rubbed with some Rose Quartz Treasure Gold wax paste and I added a little feather from my stash.

I am going to enter this card in the following challenges:

Crafter's Cafe  - Square Cards
We Love Vintage - Anything Vintage (with lace - if I read the translation correctly)
Ruby's Rainbow - Show Us Something New (image)
House of Cards - Embossing and/or Color
Simon Says Stamp - Stencil It
Paperminutes - Anything Goes
Shopping Our Stash - Something New (image)
Through The Craft Room Door - Anything Goes

These products used in the creation of this card came from The Funkie Junkie Boutique where you can pre-order some of the best new products from the CHA show:

24 comments:

  1. Oh my, how glamorous Cec! All dressed up for a night at the opera! Fantastic. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous! LOVE the amazing texture--and your coloring is beautiful! Fabulous card! Thank you for joining us at House of Cards! HUGS! :) Mynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what an amazing card! Thanks so much for linking to us at HOC, Jo x HOC/DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi cec! Gorgeous, so pretty and the colours and images are perfect! Cxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my... all my favorite things Cec. It's orange, it's music and it's vintage... doesn't get any better than that for yummyness in my book!!!! Your card is just STUNNINGLY WONDERFUL. Wouldn't it just be a wonderful front cover for the opera??? OH YES!!! What a great challenge and your creation is PERFECT. j.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful card Cec, I love classical music and some opera's.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a super card Cec, love the colours and a great image. Simply beautiful.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a lovely card, Cec. Your colored image is just fabulous and all the layers and textures are simply wonderful! Your theme is absolutely perfect for this in-between time of year - so uplifting Thanks for hosting such a great challenge!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your card is fabulous, Cec! I love the coloring you did with your focal image, and that fabulous background with all the inking and textures!! The music die cut is the perfect finishing touch. I am so jealous that you and Pamellia get to craft together, but very happy for both of you:-))
    Sending hugs and love,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love opera! Such a gorgeous vintage card, Cec! Awesome coloring and beautiful color choice!
    Hugs! Branka x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful Cec. I just love this theme, and the images are so amazing! Fabulous colours, definitely one of my favs of yours! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely vintage card! Thanks for playing along with the SHOPPING OUR STASH crew for our "Something New" challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cec, all of your musical and other elements come together so beautifully, like a fine musical composition! I'm with you on your taste in music! Love those textured layers! Fun challenge this time, too! I hope I can play along, but time is tight at this time. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous piece, love the lace and all the other gorgeous layers. The lady is colored in beautifully. Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful card with gorgeous lace. Great colors, nice details....Thanx for sharing this with us at WLVC.
    Have a nice weekend, xxx Plony

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous theme, Cec - hope I get time to play along... and such a pretty inspiration card - the colours are great and I love the combination of images.
    Alison x
    (Oh, and the Finn journal seemed to hold up fine with the wet media... so far so good!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. A lovely card. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Ruby's Rainbow.
    Hugs Helen P X

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely card Cec. Between you and Pamellia I now have to have that die! I love the vintage poster and the lace trim. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really love this...such an awesome vintage vibe and great embellishing! Thank you for playing along with us at Ruby's Rainbow!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness! This is beautiful! Love it!! So glad you came Through ‘The Craft Room Door’ to play! Can't wait to see more of your talent!
    Hugs,
    Karen C

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very cool image. I love the monochromatic look about it.Thanks for joining in the Shopping our Stash something new challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous coloring, and several layer of embossed papers. Thanks for playing along with our challenge at House of Cards
    Ma (✿*‿*) HOC DT
    http://majaapia.blogspot.no/

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec