Thursday, September 1, 2016

Falling Leaves


It is the first Thursday in September and that means a new challenge at Stamps and Stencils.  It also means autumn is fast approaching.  Rachel is our hostess this month and wants you to create with the colours of autumn - reds, oranges, golds and browns; use these in a mixed media creation.

I decided to finish a page for my art journal that I had started ages ago and set aside.


I added some random strips of masking tape and used a TCW harlequin stencil and some Golden Light Molding Paste to add some texture along with some thread.  Next I gave the page a coat of Liquitex Gesso.

Once the Gesso was dry I covered everything with Haystack Fresco Finish paint and then added some Pumpin Soup Fresco Finish paint and wiped it back in spots.  I added some Tim Holtz Twisted Citron and Gathered Twigs Distress Spray Stain and then some FW acrylic inks in Birdwing Copper Pearlescent and Crimson.


Now it was time to add a little more stamping with Jet Black Archival Ink and Tim Holtz Bubble and Numbers stamps along with a vintage leaf stamp from Just Right's Autumn Leaves set.



I made a bunch of fall leaves by taking Tim Holtz Kraft Glassine, crumbling it up and then cutting some from Tim Holtz Tattered Leaves die and some by tracing a maple leaf clip art pattern.  Once all the leaves were cut I coloured them using Sunset Orange, Meadow, Rust and Red Pepper Alcohol Ink along with some blending solution.  Once dry I rubbed them with a little Rose Quartz wax paste from Treasure Gold.

The sentiment is computer generated and inked with some Vintage Photo Distress Ink.

Even though the days are getting shorter here, the weather is still definitely summer weather - hot and humid - so we won't be seeing leaves like the ones shown here for a little while yet and I am OK with that because once fall is here, it means winter is close behind.

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful autumn art journal page, Cec! I love the way how you did your awesome leaves out of a kraft glassine! Amazing project! Big hugs! Branka xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful work Cec - wonderful use of the glassine for those leaves - they look fabulous! Hugs Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful journal page Cec ! Love the leaves a real Autumn feel ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  4. A gorgeous autumn page, the leaves are super colours and shades.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely fall art journal page, Cec! I'm so happy you finished it, because it is a stunning work of art! I love fall, and you have captured it's beauty perfectly here! Love those leaves!They look so real! I need to dig out my glassine and get to work--I'm inspired! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Silly as it seems Cec - you could have put the sentiment on your background page and it would have been SPLENDID right then - to me!! I love the looks of the string and the variety of colors on that background. But I also have to say - your leaves are just MARVELOUS and your creativity is just such a WONDERFUL FALL FIESTA of color! Xj.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous page, Cec - I love your "dried" leaves and the thread texture in the background.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec