Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Jazzed Up Notebook


Today is the start of a new challenge at Frilly and Funkie.  Sara is our hostess and has titled it Read Any Good Books Lately?  Here is what she has to say about it:

Reading a good book on the beach or on the porch is a simple summer pleasure. For this challenge, please create a vintage or shabby chic project that depicts a favorite book or use book pages on your project, alter a book or even make a journal or journal page! Just be sure it's in the vintage or shabby chic style that we are looking for!



I was at the dollar store and saw this notebook with a textured vinyl cover and an elastic closure.  It was actually $3.00 - so much for being the dollar store.  I thought it might be fun to alter the cover so despite the price, I picked it up and brought it home.

I changed my mind and decided not to try to pull it apart since the cover was quite nice but whatever I did would have to tie in the chocolate brown colour so I settled on adding an assemblage panel that would have some brown on it.


I took a piece of chipboard from Linda's shop and cut it to size and then gave it a coat of clear Gesso before gluing on all sorts of bits and pieces.  There are pieces from The Funkie Junkie Boutique, my husband's workshop and my stash - lace, flowers, buttons, charms, pop caps, screws washers, etc.


To unify the colour I gave everything a coat of white Gesso.




Then I added the colour starting with a coat of Khaki Acrylic Paint (Craftsmart) followed by a dry brushed coat of Poodleskirt Pink Acrylic Paint (DecoArt).  I sponged on some Espresso (Craftsmart and some Rich Espresso Metallic (DecoArt).  Then I sprayed on some Worn Lipstick and Gathered Twigs Distress Spray Stain.

To finish the cover off, I distressed the edges and added some tiny chocolate brown seed beads in random clusters before I glued it to the notebook cover.  Once it was dry I discovered that my distressing had left enough lift on the edges for the elastic closure to slide underneath - bonus because it doesn't hide any of my bits and pieces like I expected.

I hope you will join us for this challenge.  The Design Team will choose their top pick who will have a Guest Designer opportunity with us and also their next top three who will receive a badge to display on their blog.  A random winner will also be chosen to receive a $25 shopping spree in The Funkie Junkie Boutique.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, Cec! I loved seeing the progression from plain old dollar store notebook to boutique worthy art piece! I've never done this sort of assemblage, and I think you might have inspired me to give it a go. So much beautiful texture and little treasures everywhere. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Cec, your journal cover is amazing! I never cease to be amazed that such a random group of stuff can be made to look so beautiful! I love your awesome combination of medium to make this is to a real work of art! Thank you for creating this wonderful journal for my challenge! Well done! Hugs! Sara Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way cool Cec! You have mastered this art form and I cannot get enough. I love the shape of your repurposed book and the new cover really sets it off. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful texture and color! I love how you mixed all those fabulous bits and pieces together to create an incredible composition. The notebook is a beautiful piece of art and functional too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic way to upcycle this journal with style! Love how all those assembled pieces have come together to create a beautifully textured cover. Fabulous! xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec