Saturday, September 9, 2017
Brave, Strong, Proud
The 4th challenge for ITAC'17 is Africa and I have made this canvas for my project. From the list of elements that I had to choose at least one from, I managed all of them.
Warm, bright colors
Repeated ethnic patterns
Charms, pearls, metallic wire…
Words or text
Textures, cracks, rust effect...
I started with a 9"x12" flat canvas (Dollarama), covered it with a coat of White Gesso (Liquitex) and then a layer of crumpled up tissue. Next I added Haystack Fresco Finish paint (Paper Artsy). Once that was dry I built up layers of colour around the edge (the middle is going to be covered) with a dry brush. I used Pumpkin Soup, Smoked Paprika and Blood Orange Fresco Finish (Paper Artsy) and Dark Scarlet Acrylic Paint (DecoArt). I also used a little wad of paper toweling to add a bit of Deep Violet Acrylic Ink (Liquitex). Finally I added more Haystack Fresco Finish in spots.
Although it is difficult to see, I added some extra colour with spray inks - Mustard Seed Distress Spray Stain (Tim Holtz for Rager) and Olive Copper Starburst (Lindys).
I added some repetive markings around the border with a Mini Pattern Strips stencil (TCW) and Gathered Twigs Distress Ink (Tim Holtz for Ranger). Once the canvas was assembled I realized it was way too light so you will notice on the final canvas that I went over it with some Jet Black Archival Ink (Ranger).
Next I created my centre panel. I tore a piece of card stock and covered it with Wild Honey, Dries Marigold, Rusty Hinge and Crushed Olive Distress Ink (Tim Holtz for Ranger). Then it was time for my lady to be added. I had drawn her by hand on a scrap piece of paper on my desk and she looked exactly the way I pictured her so rather than taking a chance and trying to redraw her on my background, I traced her head, arms and legs using carbon paper. I traced the dress, collar and basket on scraps of card stock since they were going to be covered.
I used a Dark Umber pencil crayon (Prismacolor) to colour her. Then I decided the background was too plain so I made a mask of her and added some inks - Olive Copper Starburst (Lindys) and Birdwing Copper Pearlescent Acrylic Ink (Daler Rowney).
Now it was time to dress her. Her dress is made from some batik fabric (Ultimate Sewing Centre), her basket is covered in burlap (my stsh) and the collar has rows of large seed beads (Michaels).
To assemble the canvas, I tore a piece of kraft card stock (Recollections) and inked the edges with Gathered Twigs DI before I adhered it to the canvas. I mounted the image panel on top of the kraft panel.
Next I made some text on my computer, distressed the edges and inked them with Gathered Twigs DI. A bronze bead was added to ach word.
I made a chain of charms (Bead Landing) and beads on a length of copper wire (my husband's work shop) and added that to the canvas.
I am off to enter my project along with all the other wonderful projects HERE.