Wednesday, February 28, 2018

A Card with a Gift


It is time for a new challenge at Frilly and Funkie.  This time, Kathy is the hostess and is calling it Get in on the Action.  She describes it this way.

Adding an interactive element on a card, tag, layout or canvas adds a bit of fun to any project. For this challenge, create a vintage or shabby chic project that incorporates an interactive element of one sort or another in the design. You can add a pocket and tag, a hidden tag, a hinged page, a flap, a flip, a tuck spot, a special fold or any kind of interactive element that appeals to you. Be sure to tell us in your post what makes your project interactive, as it may or may not be apparent in a photo.

I have made a card and my interactive item is a little pocket that contains a wee gift for the recipient - a tea bag.

My card was created with cream card stock from Staples for the blank and has patterned papers from the Graphic 45 paper collection called A Ladies Diary all of which were distressed and the edges inked with Vintage Photo Distress Ink.


First I added a background panel of the paper and then I added a doily that was cut from a Crochet Doily die and some of the cream card stock and inked with Vintage Photo Distress Ink.


The pocket came next and was simply constructed by scoring the bottom and sides of a rectangle of cream card stock.  Once I added double-sided adhesive to the narrow strips, I removed the tape from the bottom and folded it up first and then did the same with the sides.  At that point, I realized the narrow hinges weren't going to be strong enough to hold the pocket in place so I also added a rectangle of card stock to the back before I adhered it to the background panel.

To decorate the pocket I dyed some venise lace with a combination of Vintage Photo and Gathered Twigs Distress Ink.


The tea bag holder was made by folding a rectangle of card stock and adding hinges to the pocket part inside.  To keep it closed I added a tiny Velcro pair that I dyed with some Vintage Photo Distress Ink.  I did remember to ink the folded edges before I added the patterned paper even though the photo does not show that


The outside was decorated with a strip cut from the Graphic 45 paper and a strip with vintage tea pots from The Graphics Fairy that I added to a Word document and printed.


To close the tea bag holder I inked a tiny adhesive Velcro pair with Vintage Photo Distress Ink and added them to the inside as shown.


I turned a filigree medallion into a pull for the tea bag holder by first inking it with a mixture of  Salmon, Sunset Yellow and Snow Cap Mixative Alcohol Ink but it did not look like what I was hoping for so I ended up pressing the medallion into a Versamark pad and then coating it with Tree Branch Embossing Powder.


I found a little tea pot charm in my stash and changed it from silver to black by coating it with Pitch Black Alcohol Ink and then added it to the medallion.


Once the pocket was added with the insert, it was time to add more decoration.  First I used some green Kraft Core Shattered Collection and the Garden Greens die to make some leaves.  I added a loopy bow made from some checkered ribbon and then filled the space with a variety of paper flowers from Wild Orchid Crafts.  A few teeny punched butterflies were added here and there.  I enhanced their bodies by adding dots with a black metallic gel pen.

I finished the inside of the card this time with a panel of black card stock, a panel of patterned paper and a verse about gifts of tea that I found online.

I hope you will Get in on the Action and join us for the challenge.  One randomly chosen winner will receive a $25 gift certificate to go shopping at The Funkie Junkie Boutique.  The Design Team will choose their top picks with the overall top pick receiving an invitation to be a Guest Designer at a future date.

6 comments:

  1. You had to know I would adore this project, Cec, as I am a tea lover! How clever to fit the tea bag wallet on the outside of the card. I love how shabbylicious this lovely project is. Thanks so much for getting in on the action! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever secret pocket in a beautiful card! I love that the secret pocket just looks like a part of the lovely design! Fabulous interactive secret design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a huge fan of coffee and tea Cec and this has to be the prettiest project! I love the tea bag holder, the gorgeous embossed metal, the fabulous gingham bow! Wow, so many pretty details to admire here. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cec, this is a beautiful card to start with, but that hidden pocket sure took me by surprise! I love the strip of lace added and your embossed medallion with the wee teapot to act as a pull. Such a clever, clever design and a lovely gift! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this to bits Cec! That darling pocket on the front works so well within the design and I love how you've trimmed it with the dyed lace and little teapot. A card and gift in one xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec