Thursday, May 3, 2018
It is time for the next challenge at Stamps and Stencils. Toni is our hostess for this one and she calls it Let's Fake It! Here is what she has to say about it:
I love faux finishes of all descriptions whether it be rust, stone, leather or time worn vintage. You name it we have the power to fake it! I'd like to see your projects that include at least one faux finish. Produce anything you like but please include some stamping or stenciling or both if your heart desires!
I decided to make a steampunk inspired canvas with lots of faux rust.
I started with a 7" x 9" stretched canvas that I picked up at the dollar store and covered it with torn strips of old book paper that I glued on with Mod Podge to give it some strength. Next I used some Molding Paste (Golden) through a stencil called Measured (Tim Holtz) to add some texture. The whole canvas was given a coat of white Gesso (Liquitex) before it was given some colour.
The canvas was painted with Honey Brown Acrylic Paint (DecoArt) and then a coat of Mocha Mousse Chalk Acrylic (Paper Artsy), which was randomly wiped back with a baby wipe while it was still wet.
To give the canvas some life I used a sponge to add a variety of acrylic paints - Espresso (Craftsmart), Pure Black (Folk Art), Rich Espresso and Worn Penny Metallic (Deco Art) and then I added spray inks - Moonshadow Mist Burnished Brass (Lindys) and Gathered Twigs Distress Spray Stain (Tim Holtz).
Using some Jet Black Archival Ink (Ranger) I some markings with stamps - Border Lines (Seth Apter), Limor's Circles and Tasty Textures (IndigoBlu).
I made a background panel next by adding paper backed adhesive metal foil tape (Cantech) to a piece of light chipboard and then ran it through a Blueprint Texture Fade (Tim Holtz). Before I cut it down to size I used an embossing stylus to add more markings.
The next step was to paint it completely with Pure Black Acrylic Paint (Folk Art) and then wipe off the paint from the raised areas.
The metal panel was given a rusty tone by covering it with alcohol inks - Rust, Terra Cotta, Pitch Black and Copper Mixative (Tim Holtz). Some blending solution was added on the felt applicator to make the colours flow and blend more easily.
I stamped the focal image from a set called Steampunkesque (IndigoBlu) onto a scrap of white card stock using Jet Black Archival Ink (Ranger).
The image was inked all over with Vintage Photo Distress Ink (Tim Holtz) and then coated with Clear Rock Candy Distress Crackle Paint.
My husband cut some wooden gears for me on the laser cutter and to turn them into grungy rusted gears I first coated them with a mixture of Regular Matte Gel (Golden) mixed with some sand (borrowed from the playground).
Next the gears were painted with Payenes Grey Fuid Acrylic (DecoArt Media). After this was dry I sponged on bits of Quinacridone Gold Fluid Acrylic (DecoArt Media) and Worn Penny Metallic Arcylic (DecoArt) and ojnce I was happy with the combination, I coated them with Ultra Matte Varnish (DecoArt Media). The photo I took of this step was so blurry that no amount of edit would make it visible - my apologies.
I collected a bunch of other metal bits and pieces (Tim Holtz and My Husband's Workshop) to add to the canvas and altered them with a combination of Rust, Espresso and Copper Mixative Alcohol Ink (Tim Holtz).
To assemble the canvas I used some Soft Matte Gel (Golden) to attach the metal panel first, followed by the focal image and then the gears and bits and pieces adding a couple of buttons and a funky bead from my stash to round out the embellishments.
I hope you will create something faux and join us for this challenge.