Today is the start of a new challenge at Stamps and Stencils and this time I am the hostess. I am calling this one Industrial/Grungy and here is how I describe it:
Create a mixed media project with some stamping and/or stenciling that puts off a very industrial and grungy vibe - be sure to include lots of metal and texture.
I decided to take some inspiration from Seth Apter and create this grungy canvas that I am calling Star Gazing.
Here is how to put it together:
- Coat a 6" x 8" canvas board with White Gesso (Liquitex).
- Use Molding Paste (Golden) through Spatter stencil (Tim Holtz) to add texture in random areas.
- Brush on layers of Slate Blue and Porcelain Blue Acyrlic Paint (Folk Art) alternating between light and dark colours and wiping off with a baby wipe where needed.
- Lightly sponge on a bit of Antique Gold Acrylic Paint (DecoArt).
- Spray with Brushed Pewter Distress Spray Stain (Tim Holtz).
- Use the Tiny Circles and Mini Geometric Art Layers stencils (TCW) to make marks with Liberty Blue Acrylic Paint (Accent), Silver Gray and Stormy Gray Acrylic Paint (Craftsmart) and Dove Gray Acrylic Paint (Folk Art).
- Stamp the star from the Faded Fragments set (Seth Apter) in three areas using Jet Black Archival Ink (Ranger).
- Tear a piece of heavy card stock.
- Add some stenciling with Molding Paste )Golden) through a Broken Stars stencil (Folk Art).
- Paint panel with Gunmetal Gray Metallic Acryllic Paint (Folk Art).
- Rub Treasure Pewter Wax Pate (Connoisseur Studio) over stars.
- Die cut large drip circle from Drip Dry set (Seth Apter).
- Coat with Course Pumice Gel (Golden).
- Cover with Black Gesso (Prima Art Basics).
- Use Framelit Circles (Sizzix) to cut a circle and a round frame.
- Paint circle with Porcelain Blue Acrylic Paint (Folk Art) and then dry brush with Slate Blue Acrylic Paint (Folk Art) leaving streaks.
- Use Jet Black Archival Ink (Ranger) to stamp eye from Random Thoughts set (Tim Holtz) on the circle.
- Paint frame with Porcelain Blue Acrylic Paint (Folk Art).
- Add dots with black Micron pens (Sakura).
- Coat the frame with Clear Rock Candy Distress Crackle (Tim Holtz).
- Cover heavy card stock with metal foil tape (hardware store).
- Hand cut various sizes of stars.
- Emboss stars with Bubble Embossing Folder (Tim Holtz).
- Paint stars with Pure Black Acrylic Paint (Folk Art) and then wipe the paint off leaving some paint in the debossed areas.
- Adhere the stars panel using foam tape.
- Add the drippy circle followed by the frame.
- Add the circle with foam tape.
- Glue on the metal stars.
There you have it - my more grungy than industrial offering. There are a few steps but it wasn't difficult and I love the end result.
I hope you will join me for this challenge. It runs until September 5th at 20:00 pm UK time.