Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Burlap and Lace


It is time for the next challenge at Frilly and Funkie.  Jenny is our hostess for this one, she calls it I Love It Because ... and describes it this way:

How often do you create something just for you that makes your heart sing? Doesn't it feel great when you do! My challenge to you is to make a vintage or shabby chic piece of art, be it a journal page, a tag, a card, a home decor project etc, that fills you with happiness and makes you smile - don't forget to tell us why you love it so much.

So for this challenge I have made a canvas and I love it because it is a little bit frilly, a little bit funkie, a little bit vintage, a little bit shabby, a little bit mixed media, a little bit country and a little bit rock and roll.  OK forget the last two because I am not a fan of country and it sure isn't rock and roll.


For my canvas substrate I used a piece of mat board that I found hiding in my craft room when I made a halfhearted attempt to purge.  I used Collage Medium (Tim Holtz) to cover it with a piece of lace fabric from my stash.  When it was dry I painted it with some khaki paint but it was way too dark for my liking so I dry brushed White Gesso (Dina Wakely) over it but didn't get carried away trying to cover the khaki paint completely.


Next I cut a piece of corrugated cardboard and ripped the top layer off around the edges.  Using a palette knife I randomly scraped Texture Paste (Ranger) over the exposed corrugations.  When it was dry I adhered it to the lace canvas. I will link to the corrugated section at The Funkie Junkie Boutique because you don't need to rip off the top layer with the kind carried in the shop - I only had one piece of the light left in my stash and wanted the tradition brown colour so this time I grabbed a box and chopped it up.

Four different panels of patterned paper were cut from the Old Lace paper collection (Stamperia) and distressed.  Strips of lace were added to the back of the largest panel and then all the panels were mounted on top of the cardboard panel using fun foam (Dollarama) for dimension.  I fussy cut the dress from the paper pad, added a tiny Latte Adhesive Pearl (Kaisercraft) and then mounted it on top of the panels.

The burlap flowers came next.  The top one is some wired burlap ribbon from my Funkie Junkie Boutique stash.  I pulled one of the wires to ruffle it and then tied it off in the centre.  Once I had the shape I cut the out edge away to allow it to fray and then added a pearl brad to the centre.


The large loopy flower was made by cutting a length of burlap and pulling all the centre threads out along the length making sure to leave at least 3/8" on each side.  One edge was glued to the other edge and then it was rolled along the glued edge, gluing along the way.  Once it dried I spread the loops out to form the flower and sliced off as much off the bottom as I safely could to make it lie flat.  A button was added to the centre.

The bottom flower was made by spreading school glue over and piece of burlap and letting it dry.  Then it was die cut using the Shabby Posies die (Tammy Tutterow), shaped and layered.  Another pearl brad was added to the centre.

I made a loopy bow from the burlap threads I pulled to make the middle flower and added it to the left side and then topped it with a loopy seam binding bow.  To finish it off I added a few buttons to one corner and a filigree piece to the opposite corner.

I hope you will join us for this challenge and create something you love and let us know why you love it.

Links to products The Funkie Junkie Boutique:

Corrugated Cardboard
Stamperia - Old Lace 12x12 Paper Pack
Dina Wakley Media Mediums - White Gesso MDM41689
Ranger Texture Paste Opaque Matte INK44444
Venise Lace Trim - 5/8 inch
White Jute Mesh (Burlap)
Antiqued Bronze Corner Filigree Metal Pieces - Set of 4
Rayon Seam Binding
KAISERCRAFT Pearls - Self Adhesive - Latte
Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Collage Medium Matte TDA47933
Tim Holtz Tonic Studios Paper Distresser 370E

7 comments:

  1. Those burlap flowers are fabulous! I love that technique! Why didn't I think of that? The canvas is so richly textured and absolutely beautiful. I love it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha quedado un trabajo muy lindo y muy elegante.
    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous Canvas! I adore the burlap flower! The textures are wonderful and love it choices are all blended beautifully together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Cec, I can see why you love this! I love it, too, especially all the texture you created. That almost discarded lace covered panel is brilliant to go with the lace of the dress and other lacy patterned papers. I have had this set forever, and you've inspired me to get it out and make something. Love the mix of lace and burlap and your amazing fabric flowers. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is stunning Cec! I love the combination of layers and textures beneath the vintage bodice and that gorgeous lace background is inspired! Thank you for the clever tip for creating the burlap flower and sharing your processes xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cec! You rocked this one--it's gorgeous! So much depth and texture and I love the shabby chic white and khaki!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely stunning, Cec - the vintage neutrals are completely gorgeous and the texture and dimensionality is amazing.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec