Wednesday, July 3, 2019

At The Shore


It is time for a new challenge at The Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog and this time I am the hostess.  I decided to call it Water, Water, Everywhere!  Here is how I describe it:

Often when people go on vacation there is water involved – fishing, cruising, checking out the aquarium, enjoying water sports or playing in the sand at the beach. For this challenge I want you to create a vintage or shabby chic project that reminds you of one or more of these past times.

My husband and I are not going on a vacation this summer and if we go somewhere in September it may or may not be near water so I just decided to pretend for this challenge and make a tag portraying a visit to the ocean.


I started by giving a jumbo manila tag a coat of White Gesso (Dina Wakley) and then a coat of Melted Chocolate Acrylic Paint (Dylusions).  I followed that with a coat of Crackle Medium (Folk Art).



I had a bright idea that I would use White Gesso as the top coat but it really didn't crackle the way it should have if I had used acrylic paint for the top coat like I usually do.  Not a problem though because it probably should have been blue anyway so I just covered what I had done with some Mermaid Lagoon Distress Paint(Tim Holtz) and later I rubbed some Faded Jeans Distress Oxide (Tim Holtz) over random areas.


To make the lighthouse I printed an image a number of times on heavy card stock and then fussy cut it (not perfectly, I see) - once for the base and 3 times for the roof, stripes and border.  After I glued it together with some Collage Medium (Tim Holtz), I covered it with Grit Paste (Tim Holtz).


I painted the lighthouse with White Gesso and added colour with a Water Brush (Tim Holtz) and Walnut Stain, Fired Brick and Faded Jeans Distress Oxide (Tim Holtz).  I think this ended up looking like a weather worn, salt covered lighthouse.


Next it was time to make the embellishments that washed up on the shore.  I made some molded shells using clay and a mold that I have had for eons but I will link to clay and a perfect mold from Prima that Linda carries in the shop.  Once the shells were dry I used my water brush to colour them with Vintage Photo, Pumice Stone and Hickory Smoke Distress Ink (Tim Holtz).


I tried my hand at making faux sea glass by cutting little pieces of plastic packaging, coating it with Versamark (Tsukineko) and then melting some Aegean Sea Baked Velvet Embossing Powder from the Mediterranean set (Seth Apter) on it.


A few pearl beads were altered with a mixture of Aqua, Sailboat Blue, Denim and Mushroom Alcohol Inks (Tim Holtz) by mixing a few drops of each colour in a little container, adding some Blending Solution and rolling the beads around in the mixture.


Next I made some greenery with the Garden Greens die (Tim Holtz) and some card stock scraps.  I embossed them with Patina Oxide Baked Texture Embossing Powder (Seth Apter).


I also made a warning sign from an image I found online and a little strip of card stock covered with Walnut Stain Distress Oxide.  I cut a Quote Chip (Tim Holtz) apart and inked the word Adventure with Hickory Smoke DI.  All my embellishments were added in a cluster at the bottom of the sign and lighthouse using Collage Medium.


The seagull image was also found online and I printed three in various sizes and direction (use the flip horizontal command) and then fussy cut them.  Finally I topped off the tag with a loopy bow of strings pulled from some burlap and a little anchor charm.

I hope you will join us for the challenge, which runs through 11:55 pm EST on Tuesday, July 16th.  One random winner will be chosen from all the entries and will receive a gift certificate to shop at The Funkie Junkie Boutique.  The Design Team will choose their top picks with the overall winner receiving an invitation to be a Guest Designer at a future date.

Supplies Links to The Funkie Junkie Boutique (includes suggested alternatives for items I used from my stash):

Prima Marketing Finnabair Mould - Seashore Treasures - 638849
Ranger QuickCure Clay - 4 oz. (also available in 8 oz. and 16 oz. packages)
Seth Apter Baked Velvet - Mediterranean Kit


6 comments:

  1. Cec, I can almost smell the salt air! Your tag has everything for a trip to the beach! I love your worn lighthouse--perfect! And I truly thought your shells were real! Amazing work, my friend! Makes me want to pack up my beach blanket and sunscreen and go to the beach, although I bet it will be wall to wall people this weekend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your tag Cec! It reminds me of a lighthouse near to where my Nana lived. Adding in the sea glass, beads, shells and greenery around the base make it even more beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous tag! The lighthouse is so clever, and the embellishments are amazing - those shells and the sea glass!! So creative! Thanks for all the great inspiration. xx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, Cec! Makes me think of the coast in Maine. Your colors are spot on, and the whole tag has a wonderful folk art quality that really works! Clever you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant! The faux sea glass is so clever and beautiful! Gorgeous tag! I want to go on vacation there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the challenge theme you chose for this week, and I really enjoyed guest designing for the blog yesterday. Love this pretty sea themed tag you created as well....so many mixed media products that look like a lot of fun to use!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec