The new March challenge starts today at Anything But Cute and this time Branka is our hostess and she is calling it Crazy For Colour.
Branka describes the challenge this way:
"To celebrate the springtime, we would like you to create a mixed media project using vibrant colours! It can be a tag, a card, an art journal page or anything else! Just be sure it's vibrant! It's time to go 'crazy' with colours!"
I decided to make an art journal page that I am calling a Pot of Posies. I spritzed a piece of watercolour paper with water and then I sprayed Dylusions Vibrant Turquoise and Dirty Martini ink onto my craft mat and dragged the watercolour paper through it to create the base for the background.
Next I did a bunch of stenciling as follows:
- Wendy Vecchi Lovely Leaves with Fern Green Archival Ink and Dots and Stripes Borders with Orange Blossom Archival Ink
- TCW Tiny Circles with Magenta Hue Archival Ink
- Dylusions Dotted Flowers with Bleach
- Circles Mask (Manufacturer Unknown) with Magenta Hue Archival Ink
- Swirls (Manufacturer Unknown) with Dandelion Archival Ink
The next step was to make the paper for the pot. I used a piece of heavy card stock and painted it with the following acrylic paints in random areas:
- Folk Art Medium Yellow
- Deco Art Pumpkin, Wild Orchid and Electric Pink
- Apple Laguna
Next I worked on the flowers. I made different kinds of paper for the loopy doodle flowers. The first was done by swiping some old Tombow markers on a plastic bag, spritzing it with water and then smooshing it around a piece of watercolour paper. The second paper was made by rubbing Orange Blossom and Dandelion Archival Ink on some Specialty Stamping Paper. Once the paper was made I stamped the flowers using Jet Black Archival Ink and the smallest flower from Dylusions Fancy Florals set and then fussy cut them.
I decided I didn't have enough flowers and really wanted some different ones but since that was the only stamp I had I went looking online and came up with some freebie doodle flowers. They were printed onto card stock and then coloured with Forget-Me-Not, Red Geranium and Deep Purple Archival Ink before I fussy cut them.
To make the butterfly I coloured a scrap of card stock with some Artist's Loft watercolour pencils, blended them with water and then stamped the butterfly with a Hero Arts stamp. The butterfly was fussy cut and some black wire from Artistic Wire was added for antennae. The sentiment was computer generated and then coloured with some Forget-Me-Not Archival Ink.